قصة أصلية لـ واتباد
مازال هناك فصلان (2) مجانيان

Chapter 4....

I spent the next hour getting the finishing touches in the venue. As soon as I finished one thing another popped up. It was an endless cycle and not to mention my feet were killing me in my heels. And the only reason I was wearing heels was to get my feet ready for tomorrow. Big mistake on my part.

Should have hired a wedding planner. I inwardly grumbled. I was once again asking myself why I agreed to do this for Heather. I wasn't a professional wedding planner, I was a first grade teacher for crying out loud. But after this I guess I can add it to my resume in case I ever wanted a career change.

"Feel free to come in as early as you want tomorrow. The wedding won't start until 3 o'clock so you have plenty of time and I'll have my phone on me until right before." I instructed the caterer over the phone. They already knew what to do so I wasn't too worried.

"Hey Sam." From that voice alone I knew who called my name as I hung up the phone. Turning around I found Mason standing there.

"Want to get something to eat?" The boyish grin on his face made my stomach erupt into butterflies. Damn that smile. It was the same one that stole my heart all those years ago.

It was stupid that him just asking that made me suddenly nervous, like he was asking me out on a date. Which he definitely was not. To him I'm still his little sisters dorky best friend.

"I don't know. I still have so much to do..." I worried my lip between my teeth. Going to eat with Mason...alone. It was something we haven't done in years. While outwardly I was saying no, inside I was screaming YES.

"Have you eaten at all today?"

"I'm not hungry." I lied. My stomach decided now was the time to betray me and grumbled loudly, making my cheeks heat up.

"Yeah we are going to go eat. All of this will still be here when we get back in an hour."

"But-"

"Sam." The firm tone of his instantly shut me up. Damn.

"Okay fine. Let me grab my stuff."

* * * * * * * * * * * *

"I should have known you'd pick this place." I shook my head while smiling up at the sign. Benson's By The Beach. The cute diner, family owned, brought back so many memories.

"What I like their food." Mason shrugged, holding the door open for me.

"I think I got that when we came here everyday for a month."

Right after Mason got his license he would take Heather and I every morning here to get breakfast over summer break.

"And it was good every damn time." I rolled my eyes. By the end of the month we had tried every single dish they had. Finally Heather and I put our foot down and stopped coming along. There was only so many times you can eat at one place. Plus we gained like 10 pounds.

Finding an empty booth in the packed place I slid across from him, his large frame barely fitting making his knees bumped into mine under the table causing me to grin. While Mason picked up the menu I glanced around the diner. It still looked the exact same as it did all those years ago.

It's been awhile since I last stepped foot in here. Every time I did I was reminded of that summer 11 years ago.

"Well isn't it my two favorite customers." I glanced up to find Mindy, the same waitress that has been serving us for years, standing there smiling at us.

"Mindy. How are you?" An easy grin taking over his face.

"Doing wonderful. It's been a while since you've been in. How are you?" She asked Mason.

I sat there watching as Mason made idle conversation with the waitress. Mason has always been friendly, talking to everyone as if they were best friends. I remember him once helping an older lady with her groceries and they ended up talking for hours. There's just always been this aura around Mason that made people love him.

"How have you been sweetheart?" I was drawn back into the conversation as Mindy turned to me.

"I've been good. Though not as good without your amazing waffles." I smiled.

"You two and your waffles." Mindy grinned while shaking her head. "What can I get you two kids today? The usual?"

Despite it being almost 11 the both of us immediately went for breakfast. The place was well known for their waffles, that's how good they are. While I went for my old usual of waffles with blueberries, Mason got an omelet. When Mindy was done taking our orders we lapsed into silence.

"So..." I trailed off not really knowing what to say. I was always a blabber mouth but with Mason I always found myself tongue-tied.

"So? After a year apart that's all you have to say?" Mason teased.

"What am I suppose to say?" I asked, laughing softly.

"Maybe like, 'Oh Mason you've gotten a lot hotter since I last saw you'."

"As if." I rolled my eyes. He didn't need to know I was inwardly thinking the same thing.

"It's okay you can admit it later."

"You got cockier since I last saw you." I raised an eyebrow.

"It's called self confidence babe." The smirk he sent me made my heart pound in my chest, and don't get me started on the butterflies that erupted in my stomach from him calling me 'babe'.

"So, why did you get rid of your glasses?" Mason suddenly asked. "You were pretty hell bent on never putting your finger in your eye."

"Guess I just wanted a change." I shrugged, looking down and playing with my napkin. Mason didn't need to know the real reason beyond the sudden change. Even Heather doesn't know the full reason I made the change 6 months ago.

"I liked you in glasses but you look beautiful either way." His words instantly making my cheeks heat up. While the compliment made me blush I knew he didn't mean it in the way I wanted him to. Nope that was all from a bothers perspective.

I spent years pining after Mason thinking one day he would see me as anything other than his sister dorky best friend. Imagining what it would be like to finally date Mason Wells. Even now when I know it's impossible, I can't stop the butterflies from erupting in my stomach.