Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

Chapter 2....

"Okay Heth, tomorrow at 10 o'clock in the morning the florist will be coming to add finishing touches. I've already told them when we need the flower arrangements by and they should be all good to go by Saturday. Around 10:30, the caterers will be setting up in the kitchen to get some prep done. Also tomorrow the band will be setting up and getting ready for the rehearsal and wedding," I listed off.

"That sound perfect...wait!" I watched as her eyes went wide and I could see the panic starting to set in. "What about my dress and the tuxes!?"

"Don't worry Heth, I got it. Tomorrow afternoon I will go pick up your dress and the guys's tuxes from the shop. I will even hand deliver each one to the guys so they don't lose it. Your dress will be hanging up in your hotel room tomorrow evening no problem." I quickly settled her down.

Over the last few months, I have gotten really good at calming Heather down from her wedding panic attacks. I love her but she has really become Bridezilla. The only reason I have put up with it was because I knew she didn't mean any of it.

"Sam, you are a lifesaver!" Heather pulled me into a tight hug. My forehead hit her boney shoulder, making me wince. Happened every time we hugged, thanks to our height difference. "What would I do without you Sam?" She whispered as I hugged her back.

"You'd be so lost." I pulled back with a grin. "And you'd probably be a stripper."

"I'd make a pretty sexy stripper though." She wiggled her eyebrows at me. I laughed loudly.

"I don't know your ass doesn't look big enough."

"Hey!" She slapped my arm but laughed along with me.

"Seriously though Heather, I got it covered."

"You are the greatest friend a girl could have." She beamed at me. Before I could reply her phone went off loudly. I immediately knew it was her fiancé with the huge grin that formed on her face. Without another word she and walked off, answering the phone with a loud 'hi'.

I stared after her feeling slightly jealous at the smile on her face. I was happy she had found someone, but it just made me feel more alone than before. But now was definitely not the time to think about my own love life. No, that door has closed and will stay closed for the foreseeable future.

"You are planning to get all that done in two days?" Mason asked beside me, taking my gaze away from his sister.

"Yeah..." I trailed off not knowing how to reply to that.

"Are you secretly Wonder Woman?" He seemed generally concerned about me getting everything done in the next few days.

"It's not that much."

"It is for one person." Before I could reply Heather came bounding over.

"So..." She looked right at me and I instantly knew that our plans for tonight were canceled...again. "Sam I'm sorry I can't do dinner tonight. Evan is taking me on our last dinner as 'boyfriend/girlfriend' before we get married."

It's actually been awhile since Heather and I just sat down and actually hung out. The last few months, we have both been busy with work and when we have hung out it was to go over wedding details. I will see her tomorrow night but all of her other bridesmaids were staying as well.

Heather had no clue that tonight would have been the last night I'd see her for a month. Her fiancé, Evan, was planning a surprise month long honeymoon. Probably the sweetest gesture anyone has ever done. When he told me about it I almost asked him to marry me instead.

So, pushing down the slight sadness of our plans being cancelled I smiled at her.

"It's okay, you go have a romantic dinner with your fiancé."

"You sure?"

"Of course. I'll see you tomorrow." I pulled her in for a hug, squeezing her tight for her to know it was okay.

"You really are the best." With a kiss on my cheek, she let me go and went over to her brother.

"Don't be late for the rehearsal tomorrow night." She said sternly.

"Cross my heart." Mason made an "X" on his chest. Heather grinned doing it back before hugging him. For as long as I can remember they have done that. I always found it endearing.

With another smile in my direction Heather floated out of the room, leaving her brother and I standing there alone. I was blatantly aware that Mason staring at me and I willed my face not to turn bright red under his gaze.

"How have you been Sam?" He asked, breaking the silence between us.

"Uh, good. Just busy with work and the wedding." Because Heather wanted a June wedding I've had to juggle teaching my first grade class, as well as helping with the wedding. Thankfully school ended two weeks ago so I was free to help with last minute details and the actual wedding. "How about you?" I asked.

"I've been good. Busy with work, as you know."

"Are you almost done with this project?" Mason's been gone for 6 months working on building a new hotel up in Seattle. This was the first project he's done since starting his own construction company, which made it a huge deal.

"Yeah, we are almost done, actually. After the wedding, I'll have to go back for a few weeks to finish everything," he explained.

"That's good it's almost done. You've been missed here." When I heard how it sounded, I quickly added, "by your family."

"Yeah, my mom calls me every morning and night to check in." He rolled his eyes at his mom's antics, but he was smiling. I laughed. That was Mrs. Wells for you. Mrs. Wells was my second mother, so I've been on the receiving end of those motherly concerned calls.

"Well, you came back just in time." I wasn't sure I could handle Heather freaking out about her brother not coming to her wedding anymore. Thankfully he was here, and just in time too.

Silence settled over us and I could feel Mason's gaze on me as I tried to look everywhere but at him. This is the first time in over a year Mason and I have been alone. I was awkward in general but with Mason around me I tended to be even more so. Even after years of being around each other, it never went away.

Not wanting to be anymore of a dork in front of him I took a step back.

"Uh, I better get going." I gestured over my shoulder. The venue was about to close anyways, and I still needed to do a few last minute things for the wedding. And I know if I stood here any longer, I would do or say something stupid further embarrassing myself.

"It was good to see you, Mason." I forced myself to look at his face as I took another step back.

"You too."

I sent him a small smile before quickly turning on my heel and high tailing it out of the room. The entire time I felt his eyes on me but I kept my gaze forward despite the urge to glance over my shoulder.

Spending just a few minutes with Mason and suddenly all the feelings I've held back the last 13 years come rushing forward. Feelings that could never happen or will ever happen.

Mason Wells was off limits.