Mountain

{ October 26th, Day 23 }

"Build... a country!?" Akira said, standing up to face Yarai. "What... do you mean by that, Yarai...!?"

"..." Yarai stared at him. "Sengoku... do you think we'll be able to leave this place alive...?"

"Eh?" Akira said.

"We've been on this island for three weeks already," Yarai said. "Despite it being such a huge accident, we haven't even seen a glimpse of a search team... don't you think that's strange?"

"... B... But..." Akira said.

"There are supposedly extinct animals roaming around, and there's a strange underground cavern below us... This place is more mysterious than any of us could've imagined..." Yarai said. "We've had quite a few losses already... At this rate, all of us might be wiped out..."

'Wiped out...?' Akira thought. "S-So what do you want me to do...?"

"That's why we should make a country!" Yarai said.

"!!" Akira said.

"So that we can continue to survive on this island..." Yarai said. "... You've got a bigger party than before, hmph looks like you've got this ability to attract people, but... when your group grows to ten or twenty people, what are you going to do?"

"Wh-What do you mean? We'll work together to survive..." Akira said.

"All the more reason to create a safe place for everyone to live, that is, 'our country'," Yarai said. "I don't know what an ideal country in this world might be, but if you can find that out... you might be able to save everyone scattered around on this island..."

'I can save everyone...!?' Akira thought, furrowing his brow. "... Hm? Which means, I'm like the king...?" he mused, holding his chin.

"... The... king?" Yarai said, eyes widening slightly. "Ahahahahahha! Hahahahaha!" he laughed with all his might, slapping Akira on the back. " 'The king'... Hahaha!"

"Well sorry for being naive!!" Akira said, blushing. "Ouch!"

"Hahh... You made me laugh one last time," Yarai said.

"Eh? Last time!?" Akira said. Yarai started walking away. "Ya-Yarai!? Where are you—"

"Crowds don't suit me," Yarai said. "I'll follow a different path... You and I... which one of us will survive... It's a battle, Sengoku Akira."

"Are we leaving?" Kurusu-sensei asked Torako when they saw Yarai walking away. Yarai paused and looked back at them.

"Looks like it," Torako said. "See you around!" she told the others, pulling her backpack on.

"Take care of yourselves!" Kurusu-sensei told them, waving as Torako nodded goodbye. They followed after Yarai.

"What were you talking to Sengoku-kun about?" Torako asked curiously as she caught up to him.

"... Making a country," Yarai replied.

"Making a...?" Torako said, taking a moment to consider the idea. "I see... That would give us all a safe place to gather. And maybe help stop incidents like the killings in the cave from happening, if there's a system to provide consequences for crimes like that... And you asked Sengoku-kun to do it?"

"He has the ability to gather people," Yarai replied.

"And you're more of a loner," Torako said, nodding in understanding. Even though she had chosen to follow Yarai, she also thought Akira would be better suited as a leader for everyone else.