Chapter Five

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.” - Lewis Carroll

     I woke up to the sound of a tapping on my window, and quickly jumped out of bed, before Luke would start barking. The sun poked through the blinds and lit my way to the window. I peeked through the blind and saw Crispin and Dylan, their hands filled with tiny pebbles, each taking a turn throwing a stone at my window. I pulled open my blind, and glared at them, before throwing open my window.

     “Good morning,” they both waved.

     “What the hell do you think you’re doing?” I whisper-yelled.

     “Waking you up, obviously,” Crispin rolled his eyes.

     “Yeah, come on! We’re going on an adventure today,” Dylan called.

     “At eight in the morning?!” I yelled.

     “No better time,” Dylan shrugged.

     “I’m not coming, good night,” I attempted to shut the window.

     “Come on, Aislinn,” Crispin whined, “it’ll be fun.”

     “No,” I hissed, and shut the window the rest of the way. No sooner had I shut my window was there the tapping of the pebbles hitting my window once again. I just ignored it. Best not to encourage them.

     I was just snuggling back into bed, Luke lying next to me, when my phone started vibrating on my night stand. Groaning I rolled over, and reached over Luke to grab my phone. Not bothering to look at the caller-ID I answered the call.

      “Hello?” I mumbled.

     “Hey Aislinn, can you come out and play?” Dylan’s voice rang over the phone.

     “No. Go away,” I groaned.

     “But we want you to come on this adventure with us,” he whined.

     “Go by yourselves. Miss me a bit, sound good?”

     “No, we missed you enough last night,” he said in a little kid voice.

     “Shut up. You aren’t the least bit cute.”

     “I wasn’t trying to be,” he snickered.

     “I’m not coming out, bye.” I hung up the phone and turned it on silent, rolling over and attempting to fall back to sleep.

      Ding! Dong!

      The doorbell rang, and Luke jumped off my bed, and ran downstairs his muffled barks echoing through the house. My day was just getting better and better. I hurriedly got out of bed, and ran down the stairs after Luke, trying to quiet him down so he wouldn’t wake my parents.

      “Luke, shut up,” I hissed, pulling him by his collar away from the door, and opened the door.

     “Nice jammies,” Dylan commented looking me up and down as I stood before him in my elephant pajamas.

     “Shut up,” I grumbled and hid behind the door, preventing Luke from getting out.

     “Since you’re out of bed, how about you join us for our adventure of the day?” Crispin asked.

     “I already told you no. And when I say no, I mean no.”

     “What does no even mean?” Crispin looked at me a confused look on his face.