(16) MALACHI: JUNE 20TH, 2020

MALACHI: JUNE 20TH, 2020

They watched the rest of the parade from the staircase, moving higher up so they could see better (for Leo's sake, the short motherfucker).

When it ended, Leo stood up and stretched, groaning dramatically, face twisting into the ugliest expression Malachi had ever seen on him. And then Enzo did the same, and Malachi had to look away because they both looked like absolute idiots.

Athena and their partners approached them with a small smile. "You guys done or are you going to the parties?" she asked, running his hand through her hair. "Unless you guys somehow aren't twenty one. Are you?"

"Yes," Enzo said. Leo nodded beside him.

Malachi scowled. "Ignore them. They just want to drink alcohol. We're eighteen." He stood up, stretching his legs. "Sorry."

Athena raised their brows. "You three could pass as twenty one, honestly. If you had a fake ID, they wouldn't question it. But okay! I hope you guys had a good time."

"You know what would make it even better?" Leo asked wistfully, leaning on Enzo, a hand over his heart. "If we could drink — "

Malachi shot them a glare. "No."

"We could buy you guys some," Jade piped up.

"No," Malachi repeated, sighing. "We're not legally allow — "

"Weed isn't legal either, but you had some."

Malachi pursed his lips. "It was a moment of weakness. And weed is technically harmless, alcohol is not."

"That's why you drink in moderation," Jade added.

Athena flicked her cheek. "Stop encouraging them," he hissed.

Jade pouted, rubbing the slightly reddened spot. Athena returned their attention to Malachi and his friends. "You guys leaving then?"

Malachi looked over at Enzo and Leo, who were giving him pleading looks. Like dogs trying to beg for human food. He felt like a parent right then, and for that, he wanted to smack them both.

"Yes," he decided, giving the three a friendly smile before walking away.

"Malachi!" Leo and Enzo whined in unison, chasing after him, bumping into his sides. He stumbled a little, but managed to keep steady. They continued to say his name in those stupid, whiny voices until Malachi got fed up and stopped.

"Oh my God, shut up," Malachi complained. "Why do you assholes wanna drink so bad?"

"I haven't had alcohol since prom," Enzo said.

"I haven't had any since my graduation party," Leo chipped in. "Come on, just one time."

"Whatever. Do what you want," Malachi mumbled, starting to walk again. "I'm going back to the hotel."

The duo hollered in excitement, and Malachi didn't have to turn around to know they were running back to Athena. He sighed and made his way back to their hotel room, throwing himself onto the bed closest to the balcony. He was already tired.

He wondered if he was being boring again by being such a hardass about alcohol. People their age drank all the time, sometimes even younger. He'd been around a drunk Enzo and Leo twice, and while they weren't terrible drunks, they weren't the best either.

Leo got extra loud and touchy, and Enzo started jokingly flirting with not just Leo, but anyone else around them, too. Including Malachi.

Maybe if he fell asleep before they got back they would leave him alone.