the last time you saw me

Because the last time you saw me is still burned in the back of your mind.

*FLASHBACK*
They were dancing while "Crush Culture" by Conan Gray was playing in the background. Ricky was doing some weird dancing with Red across the dance floor. All the girls laughed at it. The music changed suddenly. A slow song started to play. She looked at Ricky who was looking for someone else. Hopefully her. He started to walk when a girl tapped him in the shoulder, he looked at this girl who Nini had never seen before and smiled at her. Nini turned around abruptly, a guy from her Biology Class was talking to her. They talked a couple of times, he tried to ask her out like two times. The second time was after a fight with Ricky, she was mad and sad so she told him her situation. She felt like she could trust him for some reason. Maybe she just needed someone to hear her.

"Do you wanna dance?" He asked with a smirk. No, she didn't want to dance with him. But the thought of Ricky dancing with someone else came to mind again. She turned to his the curly hair boy talking with this blonde girl.

"Wanna get out of here?" Nini asked, tears were forming in her eyes. He grabbed her hand and started to leave the gym. She turned around again and saw him. He was standing in the middle of the dance floor, the blonde girl was still talking to him. Did she do the right thing? Maybe he was rejecting that girl. They weren't together. They could do whatever they wanted. But is this what she wanted? Nini stopped before getting inside this boy's car.

"Can we stay for a little longer? I don't wanna go now honestly. I just needed some air."

"Yeah, beautiful. Of course." She smiled a little. Not an honest smile, more like a I-don't-wanna-be-rude smile. "So, you left because of Ricky? "

"Yes. Maybe I made a mistake, I saw him talking with other her but maybe he was rejecting her. I should go back and talk to him. I'm sorry." She was about to stand up and leave but he grabbed her arm.

"You have to forget about him Nina. He broke your heart and when you gave him another chance, he left you alone on your own prom. You left with someone else and he didn't even bother to follow you. He's not worthy." He smiled at her. Maybe he was right. Was everything a lie? Did he lie to her when he said she was her soulmate? It was the second time he broke her heart. He never told her he actually loved her. Were all the promises a lie? She didn't understand anything. Did Luke say this just because he had a crush on her? No way. They were friends. Maybe he was right.

"I- I need to be alone, Luke. Sorry. We'll talk tomorrow. Thanks." she turned around already crying and when she was about to enter again, she saw him. He was crying too.

You gave me roses and I left them there to die.

They both looked at each other's eyes and understand what the other was feeling. She didn't care about that blond girl or the boy that had just kissed her, and she hugged her best friend. He was shocked at first but then hugged her back. They were both sobbing. With theirs hearts broken. He broke the hug after a couple of minutes. He exhaled deeply and grab her cheek.

"Why do we keep hurting each other Neens? Why?" It wasn't the first time something like this happened. They've fought a lot, mostly the last couple of weeks. They weren't together but they would fight like they were. Because other guy would ask Nini out, or because some girl would flirt with Ricky. They fought even if they weren't angry. They were tearing each other apart by not being together, but they knew they couldn't date now. It would be too hard.

"I'm trying to find the answer since that night Ricky. I know I wanna be with you. But look at us. We're crying at out Prom. We are 18 and I feel like we've been married for 45 years! We are not even dating right now and we are still fighting! I think- We need to grow up without each other. We keep hurting each other, we keep doing stupid mistakes, and we are 18! 18 Ricky! You are my first love. And I want more than anything for you to be my last. But the only way that can happen is if we grow up and experience things without each other. We are going to collage and we are going to be apart. I'll be at New York. You'll be here with your dad. It's too hard. It's hard now and I know it would break us in a couple of months." She was sobbing. Didn't care about her makeup, about her dress, about how anyone could be hearing them. She said what she needed to say. She saw how hurt the boy in front of her was. She was how every single word would hit him harder.

"I can't lose you. I can't live without you." He couldn't believe what she had said. She was
the love of his life, he knew that. He wouldn't even question it for a minute. He loved her.

"Neens, I love you more than anything in this world. You can't do this now. To me! After everything we've been through, you're just gonna leave me behind? Throw all these years in the garbage just because of this nonsense?" His sadness started to mix with the anger he was feeling. She was leaving him behind. She grabbed his cheeks and he felt his heart break even harder.

"It's the right thing to do, Ricky. I wanna be with you, more than anything. There's no one in this world that can make me feel what you make me feel. But I'm moving in two weeks. I need to live and you should to. You won't lose me. You will always be my best friend. Okay?"
She could tell what he was thinking, so she kissed him. It didn't take long for him to kiss her back. It was the last time.

Ricky woke up the next day at his bed, he smiled when he remembered what happened when they came back home. Maybe she had changed her mind, that's what he thought during the entire night. Until he turned around to hug her and she was no where to be found. Her dress and shoes were gone. It was the last time. Their last kiss, their last hug, their last memory together. It was over. He grabbed his phone and saw her text. Maybe they weren't meant for each other at the end of the day. Maybe they were just a high school relationship that they would talk about with their kids. Just a yearbook memory.

 Just a yearbook memory