The Mission

It was supposed to be an easy mission: "get in, beat some asses, get the fuck out" kind of mission.

Of course, Spider-Man's Parker's luck had to strike.

It was only him and Captain America.

There wasn't a particular reason as to why it was only the two of them, it simply happened that they were the only two at the compound  on a Tuesday afternoon who were willing to deal what Tony called "a one" on the Avengers Security Scale.

It's simple, you see: a ten on the A.S. was a Thanos level threat whereas a one or a two was just some random hillbilly that caused minor ruckus in the city. The higher the threat, the bigger the pain in the ass it was for the team (and, in occurrence, also the world). They affectionately nicknamed the Avenger Security Scale "Ass" just for that.

...

Yes, it was Tony's idea, what's your point?

Let's go back to our horses:
the threat wasn't even a one, just a zero-point-seventy-five. Peter had volunteered to take care of it, but after his day ('cause of some corporate government bullshit: whatever, who cares), Steve also wanted to beat some asses.

They hadn't anticipated the guy to even have a supervillain costume, never the less a villain name.

They called themselves "The Regulator". They were an individual who wore a mask so colourful, it almost looked like a unicorn puked on a menstruation pad. Almost. Spidey and Cap never saw their face, never heard their voice or saw anything other than the huge ass laser gun pointed at them.

"DoN't wOrRy, yOu'Ll jUsT fEeL a pInCh," said the villain in an evil robotic tone slaughtered with high pitched by the voice modulator.

Stark at been right though... it had been easy, just, not for  them. And they did "Get in, beat some ass and got the fuck out". The only difference was that the asses beaten was theirs.

A quick flash.

A loud machine noise.

Another flash.

And poof: the both of them were unconscious.

When Peter woke up, he noticed that they weren't at the abandoned factory on the 29 main St. in Nyack. Instead, he was laying on his own personal bed in the infirmary. As he opened his eyes, he rapidly noticed how everything surrounding him was blurry.

"Thank Gods, kid!" sighed Mr. Stark with relief when he saw the teen awake. "You scare the hell out of m— us. And me. You both scared us to death. Even Robocop. Mostly Robocop. And me. Fuck, Pete, what happened?!"

His eyes settled on what he assumed was a Sitting Tony Stark by his side. The blurry stain of color seemed to correspond to his childhood hero and mentor.

"I... I can't see," informed the teenaged.

The words rang all kind of alarms in Stark's mind.

"What do you mean you can't see?" the genius repeated before holding out his hand. "How many finger am I holding up?"

Peter squinted to see better.

"I don't know, three?"

"It was one."

"oh."

They didn't wait for Steve to wake up before Doctor Cho was called to take blood sample from both of them.

Looking at their Captain, the three of them noticed how smaller the man seemed to be. His cheeks were dug in, as if he hadn't eaten since June first 1942. He looked sickly, yet nobody could deny that the person in the bed on the far right side of the Avenger's infirmary was none-other than Steven Grant Rogers.