Chapter 9: Levi

Before he even opened his eyes, Levi knew he was home. His senses were enveloped by the witch's sweet scent, just as his body was enveloped by the warm softness of a blanket. And he could feel her gentle fingers petting his hair – comforting him, relaxing him. The agony in his leg had been reduced to a dull ache, and he had no doubt that the witch was to thank for that as well.

He opened his eyes halfway so that he could see her. She was kneeling on the floor in front of him, and when his gaze met hers, her fingers stilled in his hair.

"Don't stop," he pleaded quietly. He was so at peace right now that he never wanted it to end. If he could just stay here forever – wrapped in her blanket with her fingers in his hair – he would be happy.

The witch did as he requested, and he closed his eyes contentedly, savoring the serenity of it all. This was exactly where he was meant to be. Home. With his mate.

"I need you to explain this to me," she murmured.

Levi nodded. However, he waited a few moments before moving. Just a little longer...a little longer...

Then, with a sigh, he sat up. He felt the blanket slide down to his hips, exposing his torso, and the witch quickly turned away, blushing furiously.

"Um...I'm sorry..." she stammered. "You were n-naked when you shifted, and with your injury, I c-couldn't... Your c-clothes are on the table..."

Levi's heart warmed. She had carried him in from the forest. She had healed him. And she had respected his privacy as much as possible while doing so.

However, Levi had nothing to hide from her. She was his mate. His safe space. The most trustworthy person on the planet.

He leaned forward and placed his palm on her cheek, well aware of how his callouses stood out when paired with her perfect skin. He turned her head to face him, and she stiffened, clearly shocked at this change in position. They were so close that their noses were almost touching – all the better, in Levi's opinion, to be consumed by her scent.

His half-lidded eyes stared straight into hers, unblinking, showing that he meant what he said. "I don't care if you see me," he murmured, brushing his thumb across her cheekbone. "You saved my life. Thank you." Then he pressed a kiss to her cheek.

The witch didn't move a muscle. When Levi pulled back to look at her, he could feel his face heating. He had only wanted to convey his gratitude, but had he gone too far? He had never been in a romantic relationship before. He had no idea how they really worked. He had seen Erwin and Mike interact with their mates a thousand times, but their mates had already accepted them. (F/n), meanwhile, had done nothing of the sort.

By the stars...what if she never accepted him?

If she didn't, it would be all his fault. He had pushed her away by every means imaginable. Perhaps she resented him for his earlier behavior toward her. Or possibly...if she understood werewolf mating bonds, she might hate him for rejecting her, for nearly killing her.

Levi couldn't read anything from her expression as she whispered, "I need you to sit back and tell me what is happening."

He nodded. She had asked for space, so he would give it to her, without question. He also covered himself with the blanket, since even just having his torso exposed seemed to make her uncomfortable. Meanwhile, she didn't move from her spot on the floor, keeping a respectable distance between them.

Levi couldn't stop staring at her. By the stars, she was beautiful.

She asked about the Rogues first, so Levi explained as succinctly as he could. He didn't know how much she had gathered from their encounter, how much she had been conscious for. The thought made him angry – angry that the Rogues had attacked his mate in any case, but the fact that she was unable to fight back made the offense even worse.

When he was done, she whispered, "And...why did you save me?"

Suddenly, Levi found himself getting anxious. After all this time, they were finally going to discuss their connection – and he didn't know how the witch would respond. Her demeanor conveyed that she was ready to listen, but it gave no indication as to how she was feeling.

He took a deep breath, then, "Do you know about the werewolf concept of mates?"

The witch nodded. "A mate is your perfect match – chosen at birth to be your true love."

"Right," he muttered. He noticed that his nerves were making him fidget, but he couldn't help it. He had managed to keep a stoic demeanor throughout even the most stressful moments of his life – his parents' funeral, negotiating with other packs, fighting the Rogues – but he couldn't control himself now. He was so ashamed of how he had treated her, and worried that she might reject him because of his mistakes. If he had irrevocably broken his relationship with his soulmate, he would never be able to forgive himself.

Even so, he owed her an explanation – an honest one. So he opened his mouth and told her everything, as best he could. Through it all, the witch's face remained impassive, giving Levi no clues as to how she felt, as to whether she might find it in her heart to forgive him.

By the end, he was so overwhelmed with shame and regret that tears filled his eyes. He – the strongest Beta in history – was crying. But he didn't care so much about appearances now.

The witch leaned forward and looked up into his misty eyes. "Can you accept the fact that I am not a werewolf, and that I may never be able to produce werewolf children?" she asked quietly.

"Yes," he breathed. And it was the truth. He knew that he would lose his position as Beta because of his inability to produce strong heirs, but he would make that sacrifice, without complaint and without regret. His mate mattered more.

She nodded in acknowledgement. Then, "Will you ever try to reject me again?"

"Never," he vowed.

She nodded again, though this time, it seemed that it was more for herself, that she had come to a decision of some sort. She took a deep breath, and – to Levi's immense surprise – she reached out and took his hands.

"Then I accept you, Levi Ackerman," she stated, holding his gaze with complete sincerity. "I accept you as my mate."

His breath hitched. All of a sudden, a happiness like he had never known flowed through him. She didn't hate him. She wasn't going to send him away. She accepted him. His mate accepted him. He had a family.

"Thank you," he rasped as the tears finally slipped down his pale cheeks. He could barely speak for the lump in his throat, but he needed to say the words back to her. "And I, Levi Ackerman, accept you..."

"(F/n) (l/n)," she told him.

(F/n). That was her name. By the stars, it was gorgeous – the most gorgeous sound he had ever heard.

"(F/n)," he whispered back. "(F/n) (l/n), I accept you as my mate. To whatever end."

She beamed up at him, and the sight sent him to the moon. She was happy. His mate was happy. That was all he ever wanted, his purpose – to make her happy.