Chapter 7

Emmalee smoothed down her navy blue satin dress as she climbed out of the carriage. Her mother and father had gone to have tea with the Brodrick's earlier that week, leaving Emmalee home with just her brother and sister for entertainment. The rest of the week flew by as they took Emmalee to plays, concerts, and garden parties with her parents. They introduced her to many gentlemen, but no one sent her stomach into fits or made her head spin. Her heart fluttered as she thought of Wes, Les and Lee, for she still believed those are their proper names. This evening her father came along. He even asked Emmalee for the first dance of the evening, which she gratefully accepted.

Emmalee found her dance card on the table by the door when she opened it. Three names appeared to have filled in every dance. Arthur, Charlie and Wesley. Emmalee shook her head, returning to her father. "Did you find your card?"

"I did father and to my surprise tis full." She handed her father the card, smiling as he looked over the names.

"I will have a chat with these gentlemen, we will still have our first dance." Lord Northstone replied by taking the card and placing it in his jacket. He extended both his elbows to both ladies.

"Oh come now, let Emmalee have her gentlemen." Charlotte whispered as her husband escorted them into the ballroom. "I want to dance the first dance with you, Emmalee can have you second. I need to tier you out."

Emmalee watched as her parents took to the floor. She smiled as the orchestra above played the first few notes. She suddenly did not feel cold, but warm on all sides. Her heart fluttered as she took in a deep breath. The smells of the three men filled her lungs. Parchment for the library, grass and flowers from the gardens, and port mixed with sweat from dancing. Emmalee smiled without turning around to look. "What took you so long?"

"Were you waiting for us?" Lee asked, but others knew him as Arthur.

"I am always waiting." Emmalee relied.

"I believe I am first on your card." Les said, holding out his hand.

"I would not know Sir Brodstone, for my father has my card. Tis him who requested the second dance." Emmalee replied, still watching the couples on the floor.

"Let us not waste this music." Les encouraged looking down at Emmalee.

"Yes, let us not waste the music." Emmalee replied by taking Les' hand. She counted off the tempo as they entered the dance. Emmalee's heart soared as Les held her tight, spinning around in the large circle. Les missed many steps, and Emmalee smiled, playing it off as if it were nothing.

Emmalee was soon after returning to her father, Les bowed and left. A slower melody played as Emmalee waltzed with her father. Standing close to the floor stood Wesley, Arthur and Charlie watching as Emmalee glided across the floor. Her beauty held the gentlemen captive as the music played.

"Those three are going to be the death of me," Whispered Lord Northstone to his daughter. "They have a hunger in their eyes I once had. You might have to kill two of them."

"Father, whom shall I keep if it comes to that?" Emmalee asked, worried of breaking two hearts.

"Lord Brodrick is the only gentleman I know. He is kind, very handsome. He will take care of you when I am gone." Lord Northstone answered honestly. "He is also very wealthy, I wonder why no other lady has fancied him."

"They are afraid he is like the other Lord Brodrick." Emmalee relied. "They all warned me about the male race in the Brodrick home."

"Pity."

The music began its crescendo and ended with a flurry. Those in the room clapped. When the music played another up beat tempo, Wes was about to ask Emmalee for a dance when she surprised them all.