17

Meredith scrunched her eyebrows together. At this point Jackson knew what he was seeing was real.
" HAPPY NEW YEAR! "
Everyone yelled drinking their tequila and laughing. " guys.... " Jackson said as everyone completely ignored him. " GUYS " he yelled walking towards Meredith. Everyone turned to see a slight smile on his face. Jackson turned to the crowd " I think she is waking up... "
Everyone was confused, " Avery? What do you mean " Derek asked.
Meredith's eyes fluttered open, " Oh my god be isn't kidding " Cristina said running up to Meredith. Derek stared at Meredith. " Mer? Meredith can you hear me " Derek said running over. All the weight from Dereks  shoulder came off when he saw her beautiful emerald green eyes. Everyone stared at Meredith. " Mer? Can you see me? " Derek asked his wife. Then she started to squiggle around and her Heart rate went up. She moaned in pain. " She is in pain " Bailey said grabbing some morphine. She squeezed the syringe in and she slowly calmed down, " Meredith, do you know me " Lexie said asked looking at her sister.
Meredith just looked around the room, she was trying to figure out who was who.
" Meredith? Blink twice if you know who this is " Owen said pointing at Derek. Meredith didn't react she just started to look around the room.
Derek had tears coming down his face. Callie squeezed Arizona's arm tightly as they all watched there friends being completely clueless.

" Wait " Mark said bring his otoscope out. " Grey? Can you hear me " he said putting it in her ear. Cristina backed away to Teddy, " Why hasn't she choked on the tube " she asked her.
" I don't know but sometimes for coma patients it may take a while, or she may never actually choke it out " Teddy said rubbing her shoulder. " she has to get it out, or else she will never be a surgeon " She said to herself when Mark was checking her ears and flashing his penlight in her eyes.

" Mark what is it? " Derek asked holding Meredith's hand tightly.
" I may need to get a scan but I'm sure that she might not hear me " Mark said looking through her other ear. Derek looked at him then at Meredith then again at Mark.

Lexie was sobbing beside Richard, Bailey was had her hand on her chest, Owen and Teddy was in the corner listening, Cristina and Alex were beside her, Callie and April  prayed that she would get her hearing back, Arizona and Jackson just stood there staring at their friend.

" how sure are you? " Derek asked righting his strength on Meredith's hand.
" 85%" Mark whispered.
Derek slowly nodded and rubbed her shoulder with his other hand. Meredith put her hand on her abdomen, she tried to talk but there was tears coming down her cheeks.
" Shh dont try to talk Mer " Derek said looking into her green eyes. Cristina suddenly left the room, everyone was so confused,

Few minutes later she came in with a whiteboard and marker. She wrote down " Blink twice for yes and once for no " Meredith read that and blinked twice, She wrote " do you know who we are " and showed it to her bringing Alex closer to her.
Meredith's eyes slowly moved from one side and read it then she looked up at Cristina and Alex, she squinted her eyes, then blank twice. " Well she isn't blind " Alex joked.
Cristina erased the writing and wrote " Blink twice if you know who this is —> " pointing to Derek. Meredith eyes moved with the words and turned to Derek

His blue eyes met with hers, he saw the pain in them. Meredith blinked once, then slowly blinked again, with her eyes not leaving his. Derek grew a smile for the first time and kissed her hand. Cristina wiped the words off and wrote again " Do you know who she is " Pointing to Lexie.
Meredith once again blinked twice as Lexie went up to her and gave her a hug.

Meredith brought her arm and rubbed Lexie's shoulders as she fell asleep

" Lexie let's let her sleep " Mark said pulling her away.
Everyone left except for Owen.
" Shepard she will get stronger tomorrow " he said leaving the room.

Derek sat beside her while she slept, 1 hour later she woke up again, Derek thought
" it's a New Years Miracle "