Twenty-Four

A/N- hi guys before we begin, I know a lot of you have been questioning why Leona has changed and she's not as strong as she used to be but I'd like to spread awareness that even the strongest people can fall victim to abuse. I hope you understand, now you may continue xx

Chapter Twenty-Four| Leona
👑

"Who?" Dario questions and I point over to Cane but my face heats in embarrassment when I see him flirting with the same waitress he was eyeing up. "Right." He nods, clenching his jaw.

"Who are you with?" I whisper, looking over at the couple.

"My parents." My eyes widen. "I took your advice on bettering myself. I decided to reach out to them. We've still got a long way to go but I'm trying and so are they. I'm also donating money to the children's hospital every month, I've made a little friend there, his name is Logan. He's got no parents plus cancer on top of that, I feel bad for the kid you know." My heart breaks.

"That is so sad. It's kind of you to help all of those sick children." I smile gently. "Logan must be your first ever friend." I giggle lightly and a huge smile etches onto Dario's face.

"You could come and visit him with me sometime." My heart flutters as I watch his cheeks tint red. "Only if you want."

"I'll ask Cane." Rio frowns.

"Why would you need to ask him? You're your own person." He questions in his deep voice and I look away from him. "Baby?" Oh shit.

You have a fiancé, Leona. You shouldn't be talking to your ex.

"Why are there bruises on you wrist and arms?" He grits his teeth and I inhale a sharp breath and hide them behind my back. "He doesn't?" Dario whispers, sounding almost pained.

"I don't know what you're assuming but you should stop." I go to walk past him but he grabs my uninjured wrist.

He continues to stare at me, as if he'll find the answers through my eyes.

"My Leona wouldn't tolerate a scumbag like him." He growls out and I scowl.

"Well I tolerated you for some time." I retort.

"The difference between me and him, Leona is that I would never, ever lay a hand on you!" He whisper yells and I look away from him.

"No, you just scam me for my money." I scoff and he lets go of my wrist.

"I admit what I did two years ago was disgusting, I'll never forgive myself for it but at least Ive tried to change and be a better person. People like him-" he points to Cane who is still flirting with the waitress "-they never change."

"He loves me." Dario lets out a chuckle.

"I love you! I've never stopped." He exclaims and I bite my lip. "How much has this guy manipulated and brainwashed you?" He goes back to whispering and looks down at me with sad eyes.

I clench my jaw.

"Please stop." I look up at him with watery eyes and he clenches his eyes shut. "I need to go back. It was lovely to see you." I blink the tears away and walk back to the table.

"Babe, I was just telling this woman how beautiful my fiancée is." I give her a tight-lipped smile.

"You are really pretty." She smiles.

"Thank you." I whisper, looking down at my lap.

She walks off and I look back at Cane.

"What took you so long?" He furrows his eyebrows at me.