Crash and Burn

Chapter 22: Another Log on the Fire

As if sensing her anger and frustration, Cailin's phone rang. "Callahan," she answered without looking at it. "Uh, Cally, it's me, Jeff. Clarke."

Cailin let out a breath she didn't know she was holding. "Hey, Jeff. Clarke. You are a sound for sore ears," she said, trying to put a smile in her voice.

"Really?" he asked, letting out his own breath. He knew he was falling for her from some time, probably since the first night her gaze got under his skin and into his soul at 51. This fact became undeniable the night of the blackout.

"Yeah, really," she replied, not having to force the smile this time.

Clarke cleared his throat, "so I know you've been busy with the Keeler thing, but 51 has been working on building a new library for Cooper Elementary, so Molly's is doing a thing tonight to raise money for books." He paused, wondering why he was having trouble just asking her to come.

Cailin waited a beat for him to continue, feeling a little let down when he didn't. When she said she wanted to take it slow, she didn't know he'd take this turtle thing so seriously. "Was working on the Keeler thing, Belden still doesn't share well; but that explains what Dawson was talking about," she finally said, rescuing him from his silence.

"So you were planning on coming?" Clarke asked, trying to hide his relieved excitement.

Cailin couldn't resist a slight dig, "I mean, I suppose I could." She couldn't tease for long. "Yes, I am coming, Jeff. I probably would have stopped by anyway, but since you called to invite me, at least I think that is what this was, I will definitely be there. In fact, I might even go home to change first; which is a pretty big deal after the couple of days I've had, passing the bar up first."

Clarke laughed, "I'll be sure to appreciate your sacrifice," he said, thinking it didn't matter if she was wearing a trash bag as long as it meant he got to see her. Yep, he was a goner. "And yes, that was my bad attempt at an invitation, so maybe you aren't the only one bad at this."

It was Cailin's turn to laugh, "I'll keep that in mind." She bit her lip, wondering if she would regret her next words. "I'm really glad you called, Jeff, I know it's dumb because it's been like three days, but I've missed you." Feeling her heart speed up and not wanting to hear his response, she rushed out, "well, I should go if I'm going to swing by home, see you in a bit."

Clarke stared at the phone as Cailin hung up, unable to wipe the smile off his face. Something about her being flustered admitting she missed him was endearing to him. With Lisa he had always felt like he was an inconvenience when he was around. Not to mention he had missed her every second he wasn't on a call. He shook his head, pulled on a black thermal and grabbed his coat, hoping she wouldn't take too long to get to Molly's.

It was official, Cailin hated everything in her suitcases and it looked like a bomb had gone off. Was it possible she didn't own anything other than boring dark suit separates, jeans, t-shirts and button-downs? She let out a strangled cry of frustration, before her eyes landed upon a bit of blue lace. She extracted the shirt from the pile, normally only wearing it under a suit to court, a glance at the clock told her it had to be right for this occasion as well.

Clarke kept looking at the door, trying to ignore the disappointment each time it opened and Cailin didn't enter. He was positive all of Molly's could tell by his expression the second Cailin did finally enter, looking a little overwhelmed by the crush of people. He took her in, her jeans clinging to her in a way that made Clarke clench his jaw, her leather jacket fitting her in a way he wished he could. "More beer," he croaked out, making his way to the bar. He turned to intercept her, "wouldn't want you to wait for one of these," he said, giving her a smile as he handed her a bottle.