Chapter twenty-two Calling in a Favor

Chapter twenty-two

Calling in a Favor

“Where are we?” I whispered, looking out at a grey building as we pulled into the empty parking lot. 

Luke didn’t answer and just got out of the car. I opened my door, but when I tried to move my body collapsed. Thankfully, Luke caught me before I hit the pavement. 

“Gavin, please,” He gathered me in his arms. “Just let me take care of you.”

I laid my head on his shoulder and gave in to his request. “Fine.” Everything hurt to much to argue, and I didn’t think it was possible for me to walk to wherever he was taking me anyways.

His footsteps where the only sounds as he carried me through a side door and and down a dark hallway to the basement. A light shown through the windows at the end of the wall. As we approached the door, I looked through large panels of glass and jumped in Luke’s arm. What the hell is this place?

A frustrated looking woman dressed in a white coat with her dark brown hair pulled back in a ponytail opened the door for us. “You owe me big time for this,” she snapped.

Luke walked passed her. “Where do you want me to put him?”

“I cleared an examination table over here.” She led the way to a metal table that sat between two other that appeared to be occupied. 

“Luke, what the hell is this place?” I whispered, not liking the outlines of white sheets draped over the other tables.

He set me down. “Corner’s office,” he replied, with a shrug. “My sister’s an medical examiner.”

“So those-” I choked on my own words as I gazed from the wall with metal drawers to the covered figures.

“Body,” stated the woman plainly. “ Just finished this guy’s autopsy today.” She patted the form lying next to me. “Poor guy, got shot in the head.”

“I want to go now,” I breathed, grabbed Luke’s hand and moving as far away from her as possible.

Luke grasped my shoulders. “Look. It either her or the hospital. Melissa has a medical degree, so she knows what she’s doing.” 

“Let’s take a look then.” Without warning, she pulled the blanket off of me. “Damn,” she stated plenty loud. “I’ve seen student cadavers on their way to be cremated that looked better than this.”

“Luke, I want to go.” I curled up in a ball and did my best to cover myself. 

“Melissa,” growled Luke. “He can hear you, you know.”

She rolled her eyes and pulled on a pair of gloves. “And you wonder why I left the ER. Because here, the patients don’t talk back.” Not very gently, she forced me to lay out straight. 

I turned my head as her hands ran over my shaking body. She poked and prodded a few areas. I bit my lip, but a few grunts escaped anyways.

“Underweight, malnutrition.” Her eyes ran to the blood coated groin. “Sexual assault. Damn, he might as well be one of my patients. Most come in better condition than this.”

“Luke,” I whimpered, turning away from her.

He eyes his sister. “Melissa. He just got rape thirty minutes ago. Try and be a little more considerate.”

“I’ve never seen the ribcage stick out like that,” she muttered, running her fingertips down my chest. “And his spine.” 

I arched my body away from her and felt the tears start to form in my eyes.