Chapter two Home Sweet Home

Chapter two

Home Sweet Home

Kicking along a can in front of me, I approached Adam’s rundown brick house which was squished between the drug dealers, and the old woman who glared at me every time I passed. I walked down the side alley, hoping to go unnoticed, so I wouldn’t have to deal with anyone. Lucky wasn’t on my side. Jimmy was sitting by a pile of trash smoking something. 

“Hey, Gav.” The greasy blond haired boy blew a cloud of smoke in my direction. “How was your night?” he asked with a cocky grin.

“Better than yours, and put that out before Adam see.” I kicked his feet out of the way and headed inside. 

The kitchen was empty, besides the piles of garbage and dishes. I opened the fridge, hoping to find something for once. A smile spread across my face.

“I see you found the food already,” said a high voice.

“Kim,” I announced. 

“Well you didn’t expected Adam to go shopping, do you?” She gave me a hug. “If you would’ve given me another hour, I would’ve gotten his place put back together.”

“It’s good to see you.” 

“Sit down, and I’ll make you something.” She led me to the table. Return to the refrigerator, she grabbed a couple ingredients. “What have you been up to, Gav?”

I sunk down in my seat and pulled my jacket over my mouth.

“Gav,” she cocked a hip and stared me down with deep blue eyes. “Not again. My brother’s got your working the street, doesn’t he?”

“You make it sound so dirty.”

With her bleached blonde hair swaying back and forth, she marched over and sat down in the chair across from me. “You an ass for sale, Gav. There’s not an un-dirty way about it.”

Dropping my gaze, I picked at the chipped wood. “It’s all I got,” I muttered.

“I’m talking to Adam about this.” Leaving the table, she went back to cooking.

“No, Kim. You’ll just make him mad. I don’t want to get kicked out again.”

She slammed a frying pan down on the stove. “He kicked you out.”

I leaned back in my chair and sucked in my lips. “It’s not a big deal,” I whispered. “I did some stuff for his friend, and he let me come back.”

“Correction,” she dropped a bag of pancake mix on the counter, “you did his friend.”

Our little reunion wasn’t going the way I planned. It had been four months since Adam and Kim last fight, that end with her running off to California with her boyfriend at the time. I just hoped she wouldn’t leave again any time soon. 

I stood and headed for the stairs. “I’m not really hungry anymore.” I could feel her eyes on me, but I hurried into the living room without looking back.

Adam was passed out on the couch with a couple of his buddies. The smell of alcohol was thick in the air. I was probably right about my night being better than Jimmy’s. Poor kid. I tiptoes over one of their legs and made it to the staircase. I went to the second floor to my room. It wasn’t much just a bed and a couple duffle bags with second hand clothes. It was better than the streets though. 

The springs dug into my back when I flopped down on the bare yellow mattress. Kim had decided to do the laundry too. I never saw the point in it.