Chapter 02:The Rules Are Set.

Chapter 02: The Rules Are Set.

I sat down and started to look the papers, my eyebrows knitted in confusion as I read them. The papers had a blue sticky note attached to it, labeled to different files that were labeled in roman numerals. I immediately started to sort them and put them in the boxes that were all over this room.

Suddenly the door opened and walked in Mr. Monroe. When he saw me, his eyes furrowed, and his jaw clenched. What was his problem?

"Miss. Walters, I want you to start respecting me!" He boomed, and my eyes widen as I stood up. He is like an old cranky man!

"Miss. Walters, I don't want to talk to you, my email is on the board. Don't come into my room. And I don't allow pencil skirts in my building! You're going to have to buy a suit." He stated as my mouth hung open.

A suit! what the heck!

I was about to object when he rose his hand up to stop me. "Miss. Walters remember that I am your boss, and if you don't follow these rules then you can get another job." He said in a low dangerous voice that sent shivers up my spine.

Let me tell you, my boss is scary as shit! But can make a hell of a villain!

"Do I stand correct?" He said as a tall man entered the room. Once the tall man saw he immediately started towards me. His eyes were wide like he just saw a monster.

I backed away and shouted, "What are you doing!" The weird guy looked at his boss, Mr. Monroe.

The weird guy had black hair and brown eyes, and he was massively tall and was also wearing a black suit.

Mr. Monroe shook his head and the weird guy backed away and started to talk to Mr. Monroe.

"Patron ce est ce monstre effrayant ici?" The weird guy said to Mr. Monroe in another language.

Mr. Monroe sighed as he looked at me with anger; I started to think back to my actions of what I did wrong. Oh, wait! Nothing!

"Elle travaille pour moi , malheureusement. " Mr. Monroe said as he started to exit the room with him.

"Wait!" I called out. Mr. Monroe stopped and turned to me in anger, and then I realized my mistake. I immediately corrected my sentence.

"I mean Mr. Monroe who is this?" I asked.

"This is Alain, my bodyguard." He simply stated as he left, closing the door with a bang. It was silent for a moment or two.

"Cranky old butt," I said glaring at the door.

Does that guy ever smile? What were they talking about? Whatever, none of my business.

I sighed tiredly.

I started to organize the papers and realize this is going to take a while.

It was noon, by the time I finished and started to head down and to buy myself a bunch of suits with the little money I have left.

I grumbled tiredly.

As I was walking down, I saw that everyone was too busy to even give me a glance. I walked into the elevator, only to see that it is locked. I turned only to see Mr. Monroe.

"That elevator is only used by me." He stated as he leaned in to unlocked it. My heart leaped when he leaned in to do that. His breath reached my cheek. I took a step back, blood rushing to my cheeks.

"I know you used it before, don't ever do that again."

"Oh, I guess I'll go by the stairs." I stammered as I turned around. I knew better than to argue with him, I was tired after all. And it was kind of creepy that he knew I went through the elevator.

"Well, you know some people that are young are just cranky. And they act like a butt. A cranky old butt, it's like they are young. But their minds" I rambled awkwardly motioning to the head.

"Their minds are like old, but they look young, and hot-pretty kind of like you." My cheeks burned and refused to look at him. I am such an embarrassment, I could not believe I had just said that.

"I didn't ugh mind!" I gave up and waved bye.

He didn't say anything as the elevator dinged, I turned around and caught him staring at me with an emotion I couldn't recognize. I could tell he was about to tell me something, but the elevator door closed.

Maybe it was curiosity.

I turned around again and felt a little sad; he didn't even offer to give me a ride down. I shook it off and opened the door that leads to the stairs.

I started to descend the stairs one by one, thinking about how the hell am I supposed to survive this year.

At the end of the stairs, I was sweating! I just descended twenty freakin' flights of stairs. I wiped off the sweat on my forehead with my blouse sleeve, as I opened the door that leads to the main lobby.

I sighed as I walked through the doors that lead outside. I smelt the fresh winter smell as I walked out and called in a cab.

Curse me for forgetting that it was going to get cold! The morning was warm, now it's cold.

Talk about bipolar weather eh?

"Where do you want to go miss?" The taxi driver asked me, making me blink and snap out of my thoughts.

"The Monroe mall Centre," I said thinking about buying at least two or three pairs of suits. What colors? My choices are blue, black and a dark magenta red.

I sighed as we arrived in minutes I was thinking about my day and really it was surprisingly better than other days.

I straight up went to Macy's, it will be expensive, but the quality is better because it lasts longer.

After I bought the suits and a jacket, I started to walk home which was two hours of walking, and twenty minutes on car.

After about five minutes I was freezing cold and just ended up calling a cab. When I arrived at my small apartment, I unlocked the door and smiled as my little brother Brandon sleeping on the couch. He was only a seven-year-old kid.

He needed medical insurance, but I didn't have enough money. He has cancer; they can be treated if I had money.

Now that I have a job I can finally help him, I pick him up and put him in his room and lock the door.

My dad can be abusive at times, that's why I always lock the door whenever he is asleep. During the day he is always out, and he stays here alone. Brandon just eats whatever is in the cupboards; I always have food stored for him. I really hate my dad, he doesn't even know his son's health.

My brother is slowly dying. I felt tears sting and blinked them back.

I sigh as I grab my bags and walk to my room and lock the door. I dump the bags and jump on my bed and close my eyes. I'm tired to even change.

I just wanted to forget my problems, but I couldn't.

They haunt me every single day.