Chapter 01: Determination

Chapter One: Determination

I push the expensively designed glass doors open, my eyes trying to find the receptionist. I look around me and see that everyone is running around in a hurry.

The place seems to be designed in black and white theme. But the thing that confuses me is that there are only men dressed in suits running around. My brown eyes find their way to the clock and widen. Eight minutes left!

I spot the receptionist and quickly approach him.

"Hello." I greet.

The man behind the receptionist desk looks up and replies, "Bonjour, how can I help you?"

"Uh-I came here for the job," I respond quickly.

He lifts up his arm and checks the time on his watch, "Miss, I believe you only have five minutes. If you really need this job, then go to the top floor and that's where you'll get your interview."

I briskly thank him and rush to the elevator, pressing the button to the top floor. Astonishment dawns upon me when I realize how tall this building is. As the elevator heads up, my nerves begin to build up and my palms start to sweat. I rub my hand on my pencil skirt trying to get rid of my extreme nervousness.

I wore a light purple blouse and a black pencil skirt; my brown hair was tied up in a ponytail. My makeup was only a minimum. I hope that I get this job.

I really need this job.

I glance at the mirror that surrounded the elevator, staring at my reflection.

Do I look okay? Do I look too professional?

I snap back to reality when the elevator dings and the massive doors open. I take a deep breath, my feet taking small steps inside. My eyes look around to find only two doors, one labeled Boss, and the other labeled Personal Assistant.

I take another shaky deep breath trying to calm my frantic nerves and hoping that my heartbeat would stop beating so fast. My knuckles hit hard against the door as I awkwardly stand in front of the door.

A faint voice comes through, "Come in," and I twist the door open.

I hesitantly walk in and close the door behind me. Just as I turn back, a voice booms loudly making me jump in fear.

"WHO LET YOU IN? WHAT DO YOU WANT?" The man sitting behind the desk yells angrily making me jump. I swallow the growing lump in my throat trying to keep up my confident posture.

What is his problem?

"Uh-I came for t-the j-job," I reply looking down at shoes suddenly finding them quite interesting.

"Well, I suggest that you turn around and head back to where you came from. I don't want any female working in my industries. They are incompetent to work in my office." He declares. A wave of anger coursed through my veins at his sexist comment.

"Who do you think you are, not letting a female work for you? Seriously, by all means, I came here to work for you and I think it is about time you get a news flash, women suffrage passed ages ago. We, women, can work as a doctor, a nurse, a lawyer, or any other occupation we like.

"You are a big sexist pig! " I shout at him angrily. I look up at him only to find him standing a couple inches away from me. I quickly take a step back feeling the door behind me.

Damn.

"Look, woman, I don't care if you want to work for me. I already said no, and I only allow men, not women. Men always get the job done. Get out now." He spits out harshly. I rapidly blink my eyes to push back my forming tears as I look down.

"Please, I really need this job. What can I do to prove it to you?" I plead to him as my voice shakes with emotion. I admit I was desperate. If I wasn't, I'd punch him.

"Fine, then let's play a game." He says in a low voice. My eyes snap towards his green orbs that were narrowed to my confused ones.

"Okay," I say slowly. My heartbeat increased as he looked at me for a moment.

"But first, tell me your name. I assume you know mine." He states arrogantly as he shoves one of his hands in his black pocket.

He looks like a model, like the ones you see in a magazine.

"U-um no, my name is Elliot Walters." I am so stupid. I didn't even know his name. He could be my future boss and I didn't know.

He looks at me, "Then I am James Monroe."

"Cool, so how do we play this game?" I say going back to the previous topic.

"It is called 'Think fast', I give you a topic and you tell me what you think of it. If your response makes sense and I like it, then at the end we will see if you are capable for this job." He replies as he takes another step back smirking.

He has black hair and green eyes, and a fit body.

Did I just say, 'a fit body'? I blush furiously.

"Okay, first topic...Alexander the Great." He smirks.

"Alexander was a great man," I say confidently as I take small steps towards his desk. He lets out a mocking scoff making me angry.

"Alexander was a brilliant leader; he used elephants to defeat his enemies. He was also the most powerful ruler. His kingdom conquered the Mediterranean region to the border of India. But sadly, he died of malaria. One of his famous quotes was, "How great are the dangers I face to win a good name in Athens" I answered and let a small smirk cover my lips.

His mouth was slightly open, and he turned around and walked to his desk. I felt a spark of anger course through me.

He smirked mocking me, "Fine Julius Caesar."

"Caesar was a politician and general of the late Roman republic, who greatly extended the Roman Empire before seizing power and making himself dictator of Rome, paving the way for the imperial system," I smirked as his eyes narrowed.

"Martin Lut-" I cut him off.

"Oh, wait I forgot to say one of his famous quotes. 'If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it.'" I state as I smile in victory as he turned around angrily

He sighed and straightens his black suit and spoke in a monotone voice, "I am impressed with your words Miss. Walters, I must keep my words you are hired. And are annoying as hell you may leave." With that, I smiled widely.

Finally!

"You may be in the room while I take a few moments." That's when I noticed his clenched jaw and clenched hands.

"You may take this day to organize the assistant room, it is quite a mess." With that, I walked out of his room and into my new office quickly. Hey, I got the job!

My mood was demolished when I saw three stacks of paper waiting to be read and put where they're supposed to be.

Oh, Lord!