Chapter 16

I grabbed my black mask from the couch and exited the room.
"Well don't you look stunning" Dean said to me as soon as I stepped out of the common room.
"You don't look bad yourself" I said looking at his suit. It was a black suit with a white shirt and a white tie.
"Why thank you, ready to go" he said and put on his white mask. I followed suit in putting on mine and nodded. He linked his arm in mine and off we went to the dance. As we neared the Great Hall I caught sight of people in beautiful dresses and suits of black and white. All had their masks on so you couldn't tell who they were unless you looked very closely and knew the person well.
"Ms Samuels, Mr Thomas!" I heard an anonymous voice call. I looked around and saw Professor Mcgonagall rushing towards us. She was wearing a white teachers robe, instead of black for this occasion. She advanced in our direction and was soon right in front of us.
"There you are, where is Mr Malfoy and Ms Greengrass?" (it's Astoria Greengrass right?) she asked us with a worried expression on her face.
"Um he's still getting ready but I'm sure he'll be here soo-" but I didn't get to finish my sentence because as I said that I took a peek at the staircase that McGonagall had her back to. And there at the very top stood Draco. . .and of course Astoria. My words dried up on my tongue, he was wearing a grey suit that fit him perfectly. Underneath he wore a black dress shirt and the black tie I tied for him. His hair was combed neatly back and was shining, it looked so soft and I wondered what it would be like to run my hand through it. He had a black mask on, like me.
Astoria was wearing a little white dress with sparkling white heels, her short brown hair was curled and left down. Her make up consisted of red lipstick and black eyeshadow with a pink blush to match.
"Ms Samuels? Ms Samuels? Ms Samuels!?" Mcgonagall said but I only turned to her when she said it a third time and snapped her fingers near my ear.
"Sorry, professor I got. . .sidetracked" I said swallowing "oh um Dra-Malfoy is coming down the stairs behind you right now" I said and as if on cue Draco appeared next to Professor Mcgonagall.
"Mr Malfoy, Ms Samuels you and your partners will be the first to dance so get ready because when the doors open you must lead in first" and with that short message she was gone.
Oh no we had to dance first, all of those eyes will be on me. What if I fall flat on my face? What if I forget the moves? What if I step on Deans foot? Oh jeez I'm dead, I started breathing heavily and Draco seemed to notice that. He walked with Astoria right next to me and Dean, shoulder to shoulder with me.
"Mantha don't stress over the whole dancing thing, you were great when we practiced the other day. You'll be fine just remember to follow Deans lead, okay?" He whispered.
"Dancing with you was different what if he goes too fast or too slow or-" I babbled softly.
"How is dancing with me any different?" He asked
"I know you better and I just- it's just different, but thanks for helping. When I fall on my butt promise me you won't laugh too hard" I said just as we were about to enter the Hall.
"No promises" he said with a chuckle and the great oak doors opened.
You know when people say 'now or never' well at this point I would rather choose never, but unfortunately I didn't have a choice. Before I knew what was going on, we started dancing. I tried to look at Dean most of the time but from time to time I would look at my feet just to be sure I wouldn't trip or anything. After a bit of dancing other couples started dancing along with us on the dance floor. Once I had got the hang of it, dancing was nice. Finally I could look at Dean for longer then I could before, but for some reason he wasn't looking at me. He was looking over my shoulder with a dazed look. When we did the twirl and switched positions I saw what he was looking at or rather who he was looking at.
Cho dancing with some random guy that I didn't know the name of.
He continued staring, shame he must really like her a lot. But then why didn't he ask her instead of me?
"Dean?" I said slowly
"Yes Sam?" He said with a smile on his face.
"You know I won't feel bad if you dance with Cho, why don't you go and ask her to dance?" I asked
"Because I asked you to come with me and it would be rude if I just left you like that" he said.
"I'll be fine you just go ask her" I said with a reassuring smile across my face.
"Are you sure Sam?" He asked, I nodded "thanks" he gave me a hug and went off to Cho. I took a seat at one of the tables and took off those skyscraper shoes. I never really quite got a chance to look at the way the hall was decorated until now. It was a flower theme, so there were flowers floating around everywhere. They were pale colours but still had an effect. The walls were draped with black and white materials and the ceiling was a sky filled with stars, you would even see a shooting star once in a while if you looked at the right time.
I sighed and made the decision to never come to a dance again if it was going to be this boring. I found my eyes, yet again, wandering through the room. I looked to the table on the left of me to see someone sitting just like me, alone. Draco appeared to be deep in thought. Suddenly loud, ear splitting music came from the right of me. The lights had gone dim and there were bright, flashing lights coming from the stage where all the students had gathered around. I covered my ears with my hands as who I assumed the lead singer, sang it was more of a shriek than a voice. I grabbed my shoes, not bothering to put them on, and made my way the the table where I found Draco with the same expression of irritation for the performers on stage.
"Come on, I can't stay in here much longer!" I shouted over the music.
"What? I can't hear you!" I saw him scream but all I could see was his lips moving but no sound coming out of the them.
"Just come!" I said but knew he couldn't hear me so I took his hand and lead him out of the hall. I went right down the corridor before we could actually hear each other.
"God, who would want to listen to that stuff?" He said
"Apparently everybody at Hogwarts except us" I said shrugging.
We walked in silence, through the passageways of Hogwarts and passed the chatty portraits.
"What a minute?" I said after a while, I stopped walking "where are we going?" I asked
"I have no clue actually" he said. We looked at each other and we made a silent agreement.
"Astronomy tower?" He asked
"Astronomy tower" I said nodding and we were of in search of something to brighten up the night for both of us.

I never get tired of the this place, the Astronomy tower.
The beautiful star light brightening up everyone who would come here.
"Thanks for teaching me how to dance, if you hadn't I would have been completely doomed. It's actually quite nice once you get the hang of it" I said
"Yeah it is isn't it, why were you sitting all alone?" Draco asked
"Dean likes Cho, and what about you why were you sitting all alone?" I asked
"Astoria kept coughing and sneezing, she said that she's had a cold for about a week now so she left" he said and we both sat down on the floor of the tower. We sat there in comfortable silence and then Draco stood up abruptly, he put his hand down to reach for mine. Once he had it he pulled me to my feet, and got into a dancing position.
"Draco what the-" I said but he already had an answer for me.
"If you like dancing then you should dance, and this will most probably be your last opportunity" he said with a luminous light twinkling in his eyes.
"Okay, but there's no mus-" he silenced me by putting a hand in his pocket. He took out the iPod and headphones I had given him earlier.
"What were you saying?" He said with a smirk and was already choosing a song. He put one earphone in his ear and the other in mine. He took my hand in his and laced our fingers together. I placed my hand on his shoulder and he placed his hand on my waist.
And without another word we started dancing.

"When all of your flaws
And all of my flaws
Are laid out one by one
A wonderful part of the mess that we made
We pick ourselves undone

All of your flaws and all of my flaws
They lie there hand in hand
Ones we've inherited, ones that we've learned
They pass from man to man

There's a hole in my soul
I can't fill it I can't fill it
There's a hole in my soul
Can you fill it? Can you fill it?"
Flaws by Bastille this song is so awesome and I thought it would be nice for the moment

So we danced to music that we listened to through earphones from an iPod, even though it was weird it was one of the best feelings ever. All I thought of was what was happening now, and nothing else.
"Mantha, there's something I need to tell you" he said and looked at me straight in the eye "it might ruin our friendship forever, but I have to tell now"
What the heck? What could possibly ruin our friendship anyway? I was curious to know, very curious.
"Ask away" I said eagerly anticipating what he was going to say.
He took his hand from mine and put it on my cheek, ever so slowly. My heart was pounding in my chest, rattling my rib cage. He smiled and his hand moved from my cheek to the back of my neck. Warmth consumed me. He came closer to me, so close our foreheads were touching.
"Mantha, you know when you said that you gave me the iPod so I could always remember you? Well the thing is that I don't need anything to remind me of you because I can't stop thinking about you, and I swear it's driving me insane" he said and brought his lips down on mine. Everything exploded and nothing else mattered besides me and him. We were in a place where everything just evaporated around us. One thing surprised me though, I kissed him back. When I did I felt him smile, I ran a hand through that soft hair of his and looped my arms around his neck. My whole body heated up but in a good way, like when you have that first sip of hot chocolate on a cold day and it warms you up. Our lips moved in sync but eventually we had to breathe. I rested my forehead on his again.
"What kind of a question was that?" I said laughing.
"So do you. . .feel the same way or have I like totally ruined everything?" He asked seriously.
"You ruined our friendship and I just kissed you back for the heck of it" I said sarcastically.
He laughed and then I laughed.
"It's getting late, we should probably go back inside" he said. I put my shoes on since my feet were freezing. We walked hand in hand and made our way back. Half way through I tripped over the dress and fell to the floor, pain ripped through my foot and I gasped in shock.
"Oh no" Draco said and knelt down besides me "did you get hurt?"
"Yeah I think I sprained my ankle" I said "bloody shoes"
Before I knew what was going on Draco picked me up with one hand under my knees and one under my back.
"I don't want you to damage it further" he said with genuine concern.
"Okay" I said

We reached the hall to see that people went back to slow dancing with their partners, to music that wouldn't cause a concussion. We were in the door way when Draco looked down at me with those magnificent eyes and leaned down but stopped.
"What's wrong?" I asked
"Your friends will see" he whispered
"Well weren't they supposed to find something out tonight?" I said and he gently brushed his lips against mine still sending a shiver through me but at the same time heating me up. The spell that was cast over us was broken when I heard a voice speak my name.
"Sam? What's going on?" I heard Ron's voice say.
I prepared myself for the worst, but I never truly was prepared for what Ron was going to say next. . .

Well then...
Something exciting has happened so I would love to hear what you guys think about it. I would also like to hear what you think will be happening next.