7

The next two days fly by essentially unnoticed. I go to school, get bombarded by smirks and flirty looks from Katie, look like a beetroot until I next see her, repeat a few times, go home. But when Friday comes around, literally as soon as the end bell goes, there's a busty redhead on one knee in the door to my classroom.

I blush for what is definitely not the last time today, and start to pack up my stuff. She skips down the aisle, nearly knocking over a lot of people. "WE'RE GONNA BE LAAAAATEEE!" She yells, pulling me up by the arm and dragging me out of the class room with a half zipped up bag. "Late for what??" I ask, being dragged down the hallways by a speeding Katie
"MUM!" is all she says before letting go of me and sprinting out to the carpark.
"Jesus Christ..." I puff, as we get to a car.

"I didn't know you drove." I say, staring out the window as we speed down the road.
"Normally don't, I love walking. I just wanted us to get there before mum left for work."
"Fair enough" I say. I go to say something else but I'm stopped by Katie's face as we come to a stop on the side of the road
"You okay?" I ask.
She sighs "I need a smoke." She turns the car off and gets out, sitting on the side of the road. I get out and once I look at her again she's pulling a cigarette out of a carton in her pocket with one hand and a lighter from the other pocket.

I didn't know she smoked either. I sit down beside her and nudge her arm until she offers me one. We light them together and then pull away from the flame at the same time. She's still taking her first drag by the time I'm on my second. I blow a couple smoke rings and when I look over Katie's crying and has a few small red circles on her forearm. I immediately flip the fuck out and make her put the cigarette in her mouth. "You're an idiot, you know that?" I say, whilst putting snow on the burns.
"That was her car."
"What?"
"The reason we stopped. I saw her car ahead of us. We missed her."
"Where's she going?"
"She goes to work five minutes after school ends and it's a fifteen minute drive to my house. I thought we might make it today. I haven't seen her in over a week."
I frown at the ground, the snow on her arm melting in a small spotty pattern (barely) noticeably faster than the rest.

I take a last puff of my cigarette and put it out beside me. Katie takes hers out too, but doesn't put it out. She just takes them in her index and middle finger before grabbing the back of my head and pulling my face to hers.

~OOOOOHHHHH WHATS HAPPENING???? poor Katie tho amirite?