Chapter 2

Zene comes running out from the dance hall with a piece of paper in her hand. She opens the door and settles herself in the car before turning to me.

"So, Demian...."

"Yes, that's my name..."

She giggles and looks at me with puppy dog eyes, "Could you pretty please take me to one of my friend’s parties tomorrow?"

"You have to ask mum first," I tell her and start the car. 

"But can you take me?"

"Why?"

"Because I love you..."

I laugh and ruffle up her hair that’s in a pony tail. She squeals, "Don't do that!"

She hands me the invite and glance at the time, 5:00PM until 7:00PM. "Alright."

She hugs me and I start to make the usual trip to the ice-cream shop.

We get back and Zene runs to find mum who's waiting in the kitchen. "How's my princess?"

"Good, dance was so fun mum!"

"Tell me all about it baby girl. Mian, Butter's-"

"In my room, I know, she's always there...."

I run upstairs and into my room where sure enough Butter is sprawled out on my bed with my laptop playing girly music and she's flicking through a magazine. 

"Hey! Get out dude! Privacy!" she jokes.

I laugh at her, "Hi. What are you doing?"

"I bought this today... It’s meant to tell me what my future husband's name will be or something."

"You think it will work?"

"No, but I'm willing to try," she says and pokes her tongue at me. "So, you and Ryan are going on a date tomorrow..."

"Yeah but I have to be back by 5. Zene wants me to take her to a party."

 "I could take her," she says in a retarded voice, like I'm stupid. I hold back a laugh.

"Nah, Zene practically begged me to take her."

"Why?" she asks in an interrogation voice.

"I'm not sure," I say in a groan. 

"Hmm..... Fine. If you want to blow your change with him, that's fine with me. Actually, no, no blowing will be involved unless you get your head straight and hang out with him!"

I shake my head, "Don't be dirty Butter."

She goes hmph and lets her arm fly out from under her head, making it smash into the bed. "What are we having for dinner?"

"You didn't ask?"

"Nope, too busy." 

She lifts her head and twirls a pen in her hand, studying the magazine. "God, if you worked as hard on school work instead of trashy gossip magazines, you would be an A student."

She crinkles her nose, "Well, that doesn't sound like fun does it?"

I shake my head and laugh at her.  I slide my hands into my butt pocket and something slips out. I stare at it on the floor curiously for a second and in that second, Butter notices and leaps for it.

I tumble to the ground and sweep my hand across the floor for the paper. Butter pushes me and grabs it. 

I try to grab her hand or leg but she's just out of reach. "Butter!!"