Part 6: Family

Another body?

JJ was sitting outside getting fresh air. Hotch had just told the team that there was another body found, Meredith Pierce. She was 9. It was cold outside, she clenched her fists and shoved them into her coat pockets. The wind blew and created a whistling sound that echoed in her ears.

She surveyed the people on the street, observing the way they walked and talked. They were so naive, she longed to be as innocent and care free as them. They talked on their phones and walked to their offices as if there was no bad occurring in the world around them.

She heard shuffling behind her. "JJ," Emily set a gentle hand on her shoulder. "Hotch needs us." She stood up and they shared a brief smile with each other.

"Ok," She replied.

"Jennifer," Emily paused and JJ looked at her. The team only called her that when they were serious, it caught her by surprise. "What is going on?"

JJ laughed. "Will everyone please stop asking me that," She walked inside the large double doors of the station, leaving Emily standing on the front steps.

Hotch, and Morgan were already in the conference room waiting for Emily and JJ. Rossi and Spencer were at the most recent dump site, analyzing it. When the girls stepped in, Morgan motioned for them to sit down, causing alarm. What could be worse than the news they had already received?

Garcia's face appeared on the computer at the front of the table and a picture of a small, elementary school-aged girl popped up on the screen.

"Sadie Byron." She said. JJ's hand massaged her temples and Emily shut her eyes tight as if the words spoke by Garcia physically pained her. "She was reported missing yesterday, but she went missing five days ago." Five days ago?! Why wasn't she reported missing?

"Why wasn't she reported missing earlier?" Hotch questioned.

"Sadies mom thought her dad might've picked her up from school," She said. "It seemed to happen quite a bit."

"Wow," Emily muttered, completely shocked by this statement.

The team separated and went their own ways. Hotch going to talk to the police chief, Morgan diving further into the geological profile, and JJ and Emily going to talk to Sadies parents.

Emily and JJ brought the family into a small, cozy room. It had a couch and a small coffee table. Sadies dad was tall, he had a sharp, chiseled jawline and deep brown eyes. His hair was dirty blonde and it was combed backward, causing it to appear messy. From the looks of him the agents could tell he was generally pretty absent in the children's life. He was a working man who took pride in the money he made and probably had a subtle narcissistic personality disorder. But despite all of that, he loved his kids.

The mom was skinny and blonde. Her eyes were an amber shade, they reminded JJ of fall leaves. They were bloodshot from crying. She was young and held her son close. Her cheeks were littered with freckles and her lips were a shade of deep pink. They could tell she was compassionate and loving yet naive.

The son was older, probably around 11 or 12. His hair was dark brown and he shared his fathers facial build. He had dimples that slightly showed when he nervously chewed the inside of his cheek. His cheeks and nose had freckles like his mom and his eyes looked like hers too. He wore athletic shorts and a shirt that fit too big on him. His shoes were too small, a clear showing of his parents neglect. He clung close too his moms hip.

"Hey," JJ bent down to his level. "What's your name?" She smiled reassuringly at him and held out her hand for him to take. "I'm JJ."

"Bennett," He took her hand. "Have you found Sadie yet?"