Part 1: Hayloft

"Last one there has to cut through the cornfield on the way home!" Dylan shouted back at his friends who came sprinting after him.

The cornfield was the biggest legend in the town, the people who dared to cut through the tall stocks supposedly never came out on the other side.

"Dylan stop," Cameron caught up to him and gave him a playful shove. "That's just a stupid myth."

"Even if it is, it looks like Ellas going to have to cut through it tonight." Dylan clapped back quickly and looked over at his two friends, Cameron and Haley, who were standing next to him.

Ella finally stumbled up to them, almost falling over at their feet. Her breath came in quick, shallow waves as she spoke. "Whatever, I'll walk through it on the way back." The rest of her friends laughed and pushed each other around in a joking manner.

The group was tight-knit, they stuck together. Everyday after school they ran down to a small, abandoned barn not far from their houses. It's a faded shade of red. Ten years of rain, sleet, and baking summer sun had taken its toll. The front had two large doors, creating a dome like shape. White, wooden slabs were crisscrossed across the front of them but they had broken the lock off almost a year ago.

They walked into the barn and threw their backpacks by the door, dirt and dust flew into the air. It's the smell that hits them first every time they walk in. The stench of hay fills their small noses and radiates throughout the air.

They all climb up the old wooden ladder that leaned up against the top layer of the barn. It led to a small loft area that was probably meant for holding supplies but instead they kept goldfish and water in the corner, they each grabbed a snack and ripped the bags open eagerly. Their hands shook and their teeth chattered from the cold as they talked about various subjects. Soccer, school, video games. Typical things that 9 year olds talk about.

The four kids looked shockingly similar, people often mistook them for siblings. They shared the same brown hair and all but one had blue eyes. Not the type of blue you would associate with an ocean though, not a deep blue, it was more of an icy, gray blue. But Ella had eyes that were a light shade of green, ivory almost. Generally, that was the first thing people noticed about her. Her eyes were almost a window to her soul. You could see through them, all the way to her gentle, sweet demeanor.

"I think it's getting dark," Cameron stood up and halfway pulled out his iPad to check the time. "It's already 6:30, we better get home."

They scaled their way down the ladder and jogged across the barn to the doors. Their colorful backpacks were all in a pile and they picked them up one by one, shaking off the rocky dirt.

When they stepped outside small raindrops slapped their faces and wet their hair almost instantly. They shielded their heads with their backpacks.

They walked down a trail with their flashlights pointed out in front of them, sticking close together. Ella particularly didn't like the eerie nature of the dark. To her the night sky was not a beauty, but a menace. It teased her, causing her to keep a lamp on while she slept or set up a nightlight by her bed.

When they approached the cornfield, Ella stared into its abyss with fear. Her eyes were wide and she didn't dare to try to swallow the lump in her throat. "Can I please just walk with you guys?" She turned around. Raindrops dripped down her cheeks and neck, causing her to shiver more than she already was.

The rest of the group was freezing too. It was only a five minute walk home but it would take them longer if they had to wait for Ella on the other side of the cornfield.

"Fine," Dylan said, stepping towards Ella. "Lets just go home, I'm cold." Ella smiled at him and they continued on the path back home.

"Ella, where's your backpack?" They were almost home when Haley questioned her.

"Dang it," She looked back at the portion of the trail they had already covered. "I must've left it by the field when I was pulling out my flashlight."

"It's ok," Haley reassured her. "I'll go get it with you." The two girls shared a string bond and rarely ever left each other's sides whether it be at school or on their afternoon adventures. They were more like sisters, they never went anywhere without each other.

"Ok," She paused and pointed at the boys with a firm finger. "Tell my mom I'll be home soon, if she's looking." The boys nodded. Ella half-closed her eyes and walked the opposite way with Haley.

They followed the trail back to the cornfield where they found Ellas backpack thrown on the ground by the entrance. Haley laughed as Ella picked it up, revealing her dimples.

"I can't believe you left it here." She giggled and playfully slapped Ellas shoulder.

"Whatever," Ella chuckled back and stood up with her backpack. "Let's go, my moms probably looking for me." They started on their way back when they heard a rustling sound in the corn stocks.

They paused, stopping dead in their tracks to listen. It was difficult to hear, rain pounded onto the grass and gravel, creating a loud and intense tapping sound. The rain countered a sweet pattern on the girls' pale skin, the liquid globes reflected the tall stocks that they were staring at in utter fear.

"It was probably just an animal," Haley glanced over at Ella. "Let's go." They started to sprint back quickly when they heard the noise again.

"Cameron! Dylan! Stop trying to scare us!" Ella yelled out into the night, almost certain the boys were playing tricks on them. Their usual antics involved scaring the girls at night, this probably caused Ella's fear of the dark.

"Seriously! It's not funny!" Haley joined Ella in the calling out as the walked slowly and steadily down the trail. They were being cautious hoping not to make too much noise.

They were almost passed the cornrows when they heard the rusting sound again, this time right next to Ella who was standing on the right, closest to the field. They stopped again. This time they didn't move a muscle, it was unclear to them whether that was on purpose or if they were just paralyzed from the fear. The rain was coming down harder than ever now and thunder loudly echoed throughout the sky, causing both girls to flinch. Ella's hands hook as she glanced over to her right and when she did...

"HELP! HELP ME PLE-!" Her screams were cut off and muffled by the mans hand over her mouth. Haley ran as fast as she could down the trail, leaving Ella's sparkly blue backpack behind.

****

Remember to vote!