Chapter 1

I stared at the blank ceiling above me. My head rested in the soft pillow beneath it.

My cheeks were still damp from crying. I had cried until there were no more tears to cry. After all the tears had leaked from my eyes, I sat there and sobbed, yet was unable to shed tears.

The note was still resting in my finger tips. I'd read it a hundred times over unable to comprehend why he'd left me here. The ink of the pen he'd used had smeared from how many tears had dripped onto the page.

One question burned its way into my brain.

Why?

Gerard had said he loved me. But he left me here. He abandoned me. I'm alone. I'm on my own.

I had no emotion to cast out of my heart so I just laid on the white bed, that was on the white tiled floor, surround white walls, covered by a white ceiling. I was drowning in white.

I was suffocating in the white of the room and I hated it.

I heard a knock at the door.

I sat up and shoved my precious note into my pillowcase. They'd take it from me if they saw it.

I knew they could just enter the room because they don't believe in locks here. I have no privacy. Every aspect of my new life is public. I should have nothing to hide. I don't exist as an individual. We have nothing but similarities here. We're all supposedly insane and we're all unhappy.

The knob of the door finally turned and the door swung open to reveal a woman. I remembered her from last time.

She was the nicest nurse in the institution. Her name was Lyndsey.

She had jet black hair that framed a pale ghostly face with crimson red lips. She was tall and slender and had to have been in her late twenties by now. Lyndsey was pretty laid back as I remember.

In her arms was a set of white clothing. A white tunic, a white pair of sweatpants, and white slippers. Why did they seem to think white was so therapeutic here?

"So you've returned, Scarlett?" Lynsey asked.

I just nodded my head in reply. How much more of an explanation does she need.

Lyndsey nodded and opened her mouth to speak. "You'd best change into these clothes. We can't have someone who sticks out around here. Be down for dinner in ten minutes."

Without giving me a chance to reply, she rushed out of the room leaving me alone with nothing but my black heart in a white room.

I didn't hesitate once the door had shut. I immediately pulled off my clothes and examined the scars I had. So many. Would they ever heal?

I pulled on the pants and the tunic then slipped my feet into the shoes. I longed for a mirror in this damned place. But according to the logic of whoever runs this place "You shouldn't be concerned with your own appearance and you shouldn't concern yourself with the appearance of others"

If you made any comment on the appearance of another patient or yourself whether it be good or bad, there was some form of punishment. It could be anything from losing your arts and crafts time to spending a night in "the box". But no decision goes without a consequence here.

I walked slowly out of the room and into the hallway.

The hallway had a tiled roof along with a tiled floor. The walls were padded and the hall was lit with consistent rows of light.

It was all still white.

I came to a fork in the hall. One way was lit with a green exit sign. My heart seemed to sink as it was one of the only bursts of color I'd see until I'd get out of here. The other hall had a white sign with black letting that read the words "Children's Ward". I took the hall that said exit and followed it further down.