The Mysterious Enemy: Chapter 1

The crowd cried cheerfully, clapping their hands enthusiastically. Players shuffled across the court, with sweat trickling down their foreheads. The sound of the ball echoed throughout the room as it was being bounced over and over. The ball was passed to the grinning blond boy and he gladly accepted it.

            The time ticked.

            Everyone jumped to their feet, simultaneously watching the time on the scoreboard and the guy who would determine who would win. Just as the time reached ten seconds, the entire room was filled with the countdown.

            Ten.

            He bounced the ball twice and bent his knees.

            Five.

            He sprang up, letting the ball free from his grasp. The ball flew in the air, slowly but quickly swooping down and circling the rim of the hoop. All was quiet, but that soon changed when the ball dropped inside the hoop and fell to the floor with a thud.

            The alarm from the scoreboard sounded, but it didn’t matter because we won. Cheers erupted for the winning team, but nonetheless there were claps for the teachers. This was the end of the school year basketball game, though it was the students versus the teachers playing.  

            My hands automatically clapped and I watched as the student players jumped around in victory. The smile on my face grew when I saw Luke fist pump the air. His hair was drenched in sweat and his uniform stuck to his body like glue. To think I was going to have to hug him.

            There was a light punch on my back, and I twisted around to see Eric smirking at me. “Ooh, your boyfriend won the game. Are you going to give him a big smooch on the lips?”

            Even though Luke and I had been dating for about two months, the word boyfriend still gave me butterflies. However, I quickly recovered and was able to retort. “Are you going to give Tiff a big smooth on the lips?” I asked, gesturing to my friend, Tiffany.  

            “Hey!” Tiffany squealed, inching away from her boyfriend who was trying to plant his lips on her face. Tiffany, being the shy one in the group, didn’t like kissing in front of people because it made her feel awkward with everyone watching. Eric laughed and gave her a small peck on the cheek.

            “Disgusting,” Emily, his twin, muttered. “That’s a public indecency.”  

            “Aw, are you jealous, Em?” Eric asked. “We all know you’re going to die alone. Forever alone!” he laughed, slapping his knees like it was the funniest joke in the history of jokes.

            “You really are asking me to push you off the bleachers,” Emily threatened her brother, pointing at him then to the edge of the bleachers we were currently sat on. The bleachers where a crime took place previously, but that was over now. Ever since that incident with that Malum guy, my life went back to normal. The whole ordeal was almost gone from my mind. Just a slither of it was still floating around. But that was good enough. “I will do it,” she promised.

            Eric faked a laugh. “I was kidding! Who knows? You might end up marrying Josh Hutcherson! Am I right?” he asked, trying to get on his sister’s good side.

            “Yeah, I am so pushing you right now,” Emily said, preparing to push her brother.

            The calling of my name stole our attention, and we looked back to the court. Luke waved for me to come down, and I was already bouncing down the bleachers in an instant.

            “Congrats,” I said, punching him lightly on the shoulder. He grinned mischievously, knowing what I was trying to avoid, and pulled me in for a smelly, sweaty hug. I wailed.

            “You can’t avoid it,” he laughed and squeezed harder. My nose scrunched and I pretended to throw up. “Really? You’re obviously faking. Besides, I don’t smell that bad.”

            “You do,” I insisted, squirming to get out of his grasps.

            “Okay fine.” Luke let his arms slump but he picked me up bridal style. A squeal left my mouth and I grabbed onto his neck, pretending to choke him.

            “Let me down. If you don’t, I’ll choke you,” I threatened, placing both of my hands on his throat.

            He ignored my threat. “It’s finally vacation,” Luke sighed. “It’s summer vacation, the last vacation before senior year. And I get to spend it with you. Me and you.” He smiled at me, and I just felt my heart melt.

            “Let’s hope it’ll be a great summer.”

            “And one we’ll never forget.”

            That was an understatement.

_______________________________

Woooooo first chapter! It was really short and simple, and I hoped you guys liked it! Sorry it took almost a year for me to post the sequel! School is very stressful for me and there's less than a month until I go back. Hopefully, this year isn't as stressful and I pray that I have time to write! I hope this sequel is as good as the first book. Enjoy guys!

P.S. I made an ask.fm, username is branda_ so you guys can ask me anything you want and I'll answer it! I'll put the link on the side! And thanks for reading! ;)