The Mysterious Enemy: Chapter 7

“We can’t do this.”

            My hair was tied up in a ponytail and I had on my fake glasses. Adam’s hoodie, which was too big for me, covered my torso. Tiffany, on the other hand, was wearing a grey beanie on her head and a scarf was wrapped around her neck.

            We were going undercover.

            “There’s no turning back now. We have to do this,” I said to Tiffany, pulling the hood over my head. Adam had a bunch of stuff in his car, which came in handy. We were parked two blocks away from the apartment building that I had seen the redhead go into.

            Our plan was to find out which suite she lived in and infiltrate her hideout. But of course we were going to have to sneak around. We couldn’t let the redhead see us. Most of the apartment buildings had balconies attached to them. I was pretty sure the redhead would have an apartment suite where the balcony had a sliding door to it. To get inside her apartment, I could go through the sliding door. However, before we started breaking into apartments, we had to find out which one was hers.

            Tiffany and I both left the car. The sun had set by now and the only light source we had was the moon. Even though it was dark, I could see Tiffany shaking in her shoes.

            “Tiff, don’t be nervous,” I reassured, grabbing her arm. “Think of this as… um… an adventure!”

            She gave me a wry look. “Right,” she said, “because this isn’t dangerous or anything.”

            I hushed Tiffany when we approached the apartment building. There had to be at least thirty apartment suites. We stepped up to the entrance door, which was glass, and peeked inside. The first floor was just a lobby that had slots on the walls for incoming mail. The second floor was where the suites were.

            “How are we going to find her room?” Tiffany questioned, pressing her hands on the glass.

            I stepped away from the door and looked up at the balconies. I didn’t think Tiffany would be able to handle climbing up the balconies or doing anything ninja-like. I couldn’t just walk into the apartment building because the redhead obviously knew who I was. If she saw me, she’d probably start running like the last time I saw her at the hospital. Tiffany, on the other hand, could easily approach the redhead because the redhead didn’t know who she was.

            “I think you’re going to have to knock on everyone’s apartment door,” I stated, backing away.

            Tiffany stared at me with a blank face. “I’m not doing that! I…” She didn’t get to finish her sentence because I had pushed my feet off the railing of the stairs and clutched the gutters attached to the apartment building. I was now hanging on the edge of the roof with my feet dangling in the air.

            A small gasp came from Tiffany. She craned her neck to gape at me. “Call my phone when you found out which room is hers,” I whispered, hauling myself onto the top of the roof. I peered at Tiffany from above. “I’m going to look around.”

            I heard Tiffany groan in annoyance. I smiled a little to myself. Tiffany hadn’t really been involved in any of these adventures until now.

            My first task would be to look in the balconies. Since the apartment building was in the shape of a cube, there were only balconies on three sides. The front side with the entrance door didn’t have any, so that eliminated some of the work. I would have to check the left, right, and back side of the building. There had to be about ten balconies on each side.