Part 1

The Nanotech had been originally developed as a way of capturing and converting enemy soldiers, using genetically modified skunks as the delivery system, however several flaws had developed in its production. The DNA of the skunks had somehow ingrained itself into the tech. When the nanobots were applied to a target, the nanotechnology's self replicating ability's would then attempt to restructure body to the DNA it carried (aka the skunk). The transmitted DNA also affected the mental behaviour of the targets to that of the skunk. Not only did this make them extremely difficult to control, they also had a habit of spraying others with the nanotechnology (coined as "being skunked"). The final nail in the coffin was that once the Nanobots had fully bonded with a target, it was permanent.
Needless to say the project was shelved in favour of less problematic ones The data was archived, the skunks destroyed, and any subjects bonded to the nanotechnology was sent to quarantine to ensure that no outbreaks could occur.

Recently however, one of the countries more secretive and dubious agencies had approached Caroline with revisiting the technology. Providing her with the sample of the nanobots that had been stored in containment, they wanted her to make the nanobots act more like its original concept while still retaining the option for binding them to a subject (with an emphasis of greater control over said subjects to prevent unwanted spreading of the nanobots). It had taken several months due to the limited amount of nanobots at her disposal, but at last, Caroline believed that she had tweaked the code enough to satisfy the conditions set."And you believe that your simulations are accurate?"

"Yes. Using the latest version of the code, all data suggests that the nanobots will act to your specifications. Alas, without the original skunk organism to inject the new code into, producing more is not possible."

"Not true. There was a reason why we asked that the effects of the original programming could be replicated."

"You mean... bind the updated nanobots to a subject?!?"

"Human trials would be the logical next step to ensure it does as the simulations suggest, and with one "skunked" subject, limited supplies of the nanotechnology would no longer be an issue. That is not a problem is it?"

"N... no. Just surprised I'm getting the go ahead so soon."

"Good. It does not matter who you pick, just ensure that there will not be any complications that could lead back to us."

With that, the agency contact disconnected from the call.

"Doesn't mater who I pick huh..." she mussed to herself. "I think I've got a good idea who can help me with this."

With that, she headed into the lab to plan out her scheme, not bothering to notice that the confronted call had only now finished...