Orion's Belt

Steve

The alarm rang and Steve awoke at the crack of dawn that lit into his room. He pulled himself from the sheets and rested his elbows on his knees to rub his eyes and yawned, getting out of bed. Stumbling into the bathroom, he splashed water on his face and put on a shirt that contrasted his blue track pants.

He stepped into the dark floor and went for the elevator that strung him down to the first. Picking up a pace, he reached the sidewalk and started his morning jog.

The walkway was bare and the streets were partially empty, allowing him to speed up. He had no idea where he was going or planning to stop as the jog became a run then a sprint.

His controlled breaths in the cold were slowed down as he returned to a jog and turned multiple corners. He hadn't realized how far he was from the tower when he found himself in front of Rue's apartment complex.

He trotted in place and sighed, shaking his and turned around, taking a longer way back to the tower.

The morning rush had struck by the time he had reached the lobby and phone calls echoed in his ears. The rush made him compiled with a group of strangers in the elevator who stopped at different floors until he finally reached the top.

"Want some breakfast?" Natasha asked.

Before he could answer, she had already set down a plate at the table with the rest of his friends and took a seat beside Thor. He glanced at his stack of pancakes he dowsed in syrup and started eating his.

"Where's Clint?" Tony asked, plopping in a chair.

"I don't know," Nat answered.

The elevator dinged and he stayed eating, knowing it was Clint.

"Hey, Spacewalker, come join us," Tony exclaimed, which made his heart jolt but he kept his head straight.

"Oh no, it's okay, I've already had breakfast," she said.

"Just come sit then."

Rue went around the corner of the table and sat beside her boss and across from him. He kept his eyes on his food but could see her pour a cup of orange juice.

Their eyes met and quickly dropped and Steve glared at Thor who had nudged him in the arm and started laughing cheekily. Tony joined and Rue couldn't help but smile as Bruce and Natasha's were dry and he stayed silent. Getting annoyed by their laughter, he stood to clear his plate.

"Why is the old man grumpy?" Tony questioned.

"I'm not grumpy."

Steve poured himself a hot cup of coffee and leaned in the corner of the kitchen, staring at all of them as he took a sip. He found her gaze but was too late to return the smile she had given before she looked down.

He sighed into the mug, feeling the heat press his face and he walked out of the kitchen, hearing their chatter as he entered his room.

"Stupid, stupid, stupid," he muttered to himself and sat at the edge of his bed.

His head lifted when the door opened and Natasha entered, closing it, and leaned back.