#1

" Daddy... Daddy... Daddy where are you ? "

Kevin sat upright on his bed, rubbing his eyes with his tiny fists as the loud chattering of the cadets woke him up.
He looked around the dimly lit room for his father but there was no sign of him anywhere. Kicking his blanket aside, he got out of bed, his warm feet touching the cold stoned floor beneath him. Then he crouched and ducked his head beneath the bed, pulling out his slippers he kicked in there before going to sleep last night pretending they were monsters.
He went over to the door and then stood on his tiptoes to reach the handle and the door opened with a creaking sound.
There was a lot of commotion outside, all he could see were people wearing green cloaks, some standing still against the walls, some chattering loudly while some looked like they were about to doze off to sleep.

" Hange squad ! Follow me ! " Shouted someone.

All of the soldiers assembled at once and started marching towards one end of the corridor. The noise of their stamping was deafening to little Kevin so he put up his hands to his ears.

When every last one of the soldiers was gone, Kevin went out of the room looking for his Dad. He searched room after room but found them all empty so he headed out in the open, in the gardens where soldiers including his father trained. He hid behind a wall and observed them.

Little did Kevin know what all these soldiers trained for there as his father had kept the outside world a secret from him. The world he knew was really small, it was only limited to a specific area inside of Wall Rose where he lived with his father along with other members of the Survey Corps.

" Soldiers ! I ask you this once more ! Are you willing to put your lives on the line ?! "

Startled by Commander Erwin's voice, Kevin gasped.

" Yes sir ! " Replied the soldiers.

"Are you willing to do whatever it takes to protect humanity ?! "

A shiver ran down Kevin's spine as the Commander spoke again.

" Yes sir ! " Replied the soldiers.

" Those of you who stayed are now officially a part of the Scout Regiment ! Go get some rest, your training begins tomorrow ! "

"Yes sir ! " Replied the soldiers even more loudly.

The soldiers started to disperse and Kevin quickly scanned all of them in hope of finding his father, but disappointed, he too turned to leave.

" Kevin, shouldn't you be in bed right now ? " Asked Commander Erwin.

Kevin froze.

" Shouldn't you ?"

Kevin turned around to face the 6.2ft tall muscular blue eyed Erwin, the commander of the Scout Regiment.

" I was j-just...j-j-just...." Kevin stammered because he knew he wasn't supposed to be out alone at this hour.

" Just...?"

" J-J-Just looking for...."

"For...?"

"D-Daddy..."

"Hmm, I see. And why is that so ?" Commander Erwin frowned.

Silence prevailed.

Seeing that Kevin was too reluctant to say anything, the Commander asked, " Are you hungry ? Is that why you're looking for him ? "

Kevin nodded.

" Well then let's go, I'll take you to him."

Erwin smiled and held Kevin's small hand into his big one.

"But remember, you are not allowed to leave you room after dark, unless you have an elder with you... And I'm sure you don't want to get punished by your father for doing so, do you ? So never step out again."

"Alright Uncle Erwin."

The sound of their footsteps echoed in the empty corridor as they headed towards the meeting room.

This reminded Erwin of his childhood, about how he was of Kevin's age once living a peaceful life until titans appeared and pickpocketed him of things he didn't ever get back, his childhood, his innocence, his fragility, his loved ones and also a little part of his humanity.