Chapter 7 (I shouldn't have ended it)

Feather-light kisses on the nape of his neck stirred him awake. He smiled. Turned around to look at his beautiful boyfriend. Arms that were previously resting on his back were now wrapped around his torso. He loved it when New got this clingy.

"Hey babe," Tay pressed a kiss to New's temple. "Did you sleep well?"

New smiled. "You know I did," He brushed the hair off Tay's face. "And how did you sleep?"

"It was the best sleep of my life."

"Oh come on," New wrinkled his face. "Of your life?"

"Shut up. I'm just—I'm really happy."

"I know," He whispered, eyes solemn. "I'm really happy too."

"I want to wake up in your arms for as long as you'll let me." Tay hugged New to his chest and New wiggled until his head nestled in the crook of his neck. "I love you." he breathed into his hair.

"I love you too, Tay. But I'm suffocating."

Tay jolted awake. His room was not as colorful as it was in his dream. And the man he had his arms wrapped around was his best friend who was currently struggling to breathe. He quickly let go of Off as if he had been burned.

"I told you to sleep on the couch."

"I did."

Tay narrowed his eyes and stated matter-of-fact, "No, you didn't."

Off smiled, unapologetic. "I didn't." He twisted his head to fix the crick in his neck. "I got lonely, sue me. I wanted some light cuddles but I didn't expect you to transform into a human octopus and strangle me to death."

Tay sighed. It was typical of him to have such a dream and have his reality be this disappointing. "Can you go home now? I want to sleep."

"No."

"Yes."

"No. You were dreaming about him—," he paused just to enunciate the last word "again."

"I wasn't."

"You said babe twice and I love you once. You were definitely dreaming about him. Unless you have suddenly developed feelings for me which, honestly I'm flattered but I really don't—,"

"Fine, please shut up. I was dreaming about him." He admitted in defeat.

"It's been 2 months."

"It's not like I can control my dreams." He climbed out of bed and started towards the bathroom.

Off followed him. "Maybe don't look at his pictures before bed or read through your old messages."

"You caught me doing that just once." He argued.

"That is one time too many." He narrowed his eyes. "Also, I know you do it every night."

Off was right but he wasn't going to admit that. "I want to pee get out."

"It's nothing I haven't seen before, Tay."

Tay shoved him out. Banged the door in his face.

"Here." Off handed him his glasses when he stepped out.

"Thanks." Off Jumpol was a kind and thoughtful friend.

"You need to forget about him. Start making the effort to meet other people."

Forget his earlier thoughts. Jumpol is annoying. "I'm not going on another one of your fixed dates, Off. I don't like them." He parted the curtains in his living room. The morning sun poured in. He tried not to think about New.

"Joss said you didn't say anything the whole time."

"That's a lie. I greeted him and told him he looked nice."

"And then you went mute for two hours. Two hours, Tay! You know who does that? Psychopaths!" He looked at Tay in disgust for a few seconds. "Namtan said she saw you stand at the entrance of the restaurant for 5 minutes and just walked back out."

"I knew I'd just be wasting both our time." He turned the kettle on.

"You're not trying. Okay so let's say New comes back and wants to be boyfriends. Then what? Who's to say he's not going to cheat on you like he cheated on his current boyfriend?"

Tay let out an exasperated sigh. "Are you going to follow me around everywhere?"

"Are you going to stop being a pitiful pining idiot?" Off threw back.

Tay crossed his arms over his chest, infuriated. Off mimicked the action.

"What I do with my feelings is up to me. They are my feelings. I choose how to deal with them."

"You called me at 11 pm last night." Dramatic pause. "In tears. Tay, I am worried about you. As your best friend, It's my job to take care of you."

There was a long stretch of silence before Tay spoke again. "Maybe I shouldn't have ended it," He pushed the hair back from his face, close to tears again. "I was happy with him. I shouldn't have wanted more." His eyes misted over. "I miss him every day, every second. Is it weird for me to feel so much for someone I haven't even known for a year?"

Off sighed and placed a comforting hand on Tay's shoulder. "Falling in love doesn't take years. Sometimes it does but in some instances, all it takes is a second. You just see them and you know."

"Will I be okay?"

"I don't know, Peng. Maybe you'll find someone who'll make you look back at what you feel now and laugh. Maybe you'll go your whole life trying to find someone who makes you feel half of what you feel now. But you have to try."

"I don't want to go on any dates. At least not now."

Off nodded. "I understand you need to concentrate on your gallery exhibition but after next week—,"

"No Off. I need time for work but also time for myself. I don't think I'm ready yet."

And he doesn't think he'd ever be.