Chapter 4 (Do you no longer find me interesting?)

Tay buried himself in work. Working on pictures he took always helped when he wanted to detach from the outside world for a bit. Unfortunately, when he came back to the real world, he found text messages from the very person he was trying to escape.

He texted back and forth with New every day. When they could, they'd talk on the phone for long hours before bedtime. How was he supposed to get over his ridiculous crush when said crush kept sending him pictures of funny things he encountered throughout the day? New would give him a play-by-play of how his day went and demanded that Tay share his too. He came over on some days with diner and Tay's favorite drink (kale juice). They would talk and laugh until New had to leave. Those days were the hardest. All Tay wanted to do was beg him to stay. To at least spend the night.

It was almost impossible not to think about him. It had been three months since New's painful confession. That is three months since they agreed to be just friends.

It didn't help that Arm and Off loved New. They invited him to hang out all the time.

New acted like that night didn't happen. Like he didn't confess to having feelings for Tay too. It hurt. It was Tay who stupidly stared longer than necessary. It was him who let their playful touches linger. It was him who secretly hoped New would leave his partner for him.

His phone pinged with a message.

OFF: So are we going out tonight? It's a Friday 🎊🎉

TAY: No. I'm tired.

OFF: Your baby boy has agreed to come.

Tay rolled his eyes. This is a new ploy they had formulated to get Tay to do engage in their activities. Nonetheless, he was completely drained tonight. The last thing he wanted was to add pining over New to the list.

TAY: Sorry guys.

ARM: That usually works. Have you finally gotten over him? Good for you bro.

TAY: Have fun tonight.

**

Tay was rudely awakened by the sound of his ringtone. He looked up at the clock. It was 1:34 am. He reached for his phone, squinting at the bright light. The caller ID brought him to an alert.

"Hello, New?"

"Teh, please come get me."

"Where are you?" Tay asked, already moving to his closet.

"Where we first met."

"I'm on my way. Don't move." Tay quickly threw on some sweats. He slid his glasses over his nose and rushed downstairs to hail a cab. It took thirty minutes to get there. It wasn't hard to find New. He was crouched at the entrance, hugging his knees to his chest. Tay lowered himself to his level. "New," he touched the other man's knees. Careful not to startle him.

New looked up. Tay had to clench his fist at his sides to gain some self-control. New's beautiful face was stained with tears and fresh tears were pooling in his eyes. "Teh?"

"I'm here."

Tears rolled down his face. He sniffed. "Please take me home."