28. First Date

9:11 pm

"I don't understand why you're going," Casey said from the bathroom.

"Because he asked me out." I was trying my best to pull my twists into a low bun but it wasn't fitting.

"But you don't even like him in that way." I turned around and saw her staring at me from the doorway.

"I don't know that though."

Spencer had asked me if we were available to meet and I said I was free tonight so we were going to go have dinner. It was super rushed and last minute but he had to head home tomorrow so it only made sense to do it tonight.

"I thought you were excited a couple of weeks ago when he mentioned he wanted to hang out with me," I countered. She was switching up on me for sure.

"That was before I saw how happy Will made you. I think Spencer is a great guy but I don't think he's what you need right now."

I turned back around in my chair and looked at the smaller mirror on my desk. I put on light makeup and pulled my hair out of the low bun. It wasn't gonna stay no matter how much I forced it to.

"Well, I'm gonna go and have fun. Whatever may or may not be going on between Will and me isn't something I'm trying to focus on."

I pulled the small strap of my clutch over my shoulder and threw on my vans.

I was wearing a plain white shirt with a cardigan over and jeans. The weather was surprisingly nicer than expected. It was only 55 degrees out which was very different from last week's 32-degree weather.

"See you later," I said, opening the door. I didn't hear her response because I closed the door behind me.

I moved quickly through the hallway. Everyone was leaving to go home this weekend and the house was a slight mess with boxes and suitcases everywhere. I headed down the stairs.

I didn't like the fact that she wasn't being supportive of this date. Normally Casey would be thrilled that I even wanted to go out and do something instead of staying in like I usually did.

Now she's saying this was going to complicate things.

I couldn't see how that would happen. It was a harmless date and nothing more.

I'd been so sidetracked with this date that I forgot to let her know that Monica knows. had to remember to do that later.

**********************************

I took a bite of my slice of strawberry cheesecake and smiled to myself. It was so good.

"I'm really glad you chose this place to eat," I said covering my mouth so that he wouldn't see me chewing.

Spencer sat across from me in a booth in a jean jacket and a button-down shirt. His usually orange curls were neatly kept to the side. He looked handsome.

He took a piece of my cheesecake with his fork and I smacked his hand away. We both broke out laughing and I took a piece of his fudge brownie.

So far the date had been great. He took me to a fancy diner that was a few minutes away from the school. The interior was red and white and it was fully decorated for the holiday season.

There were a few OSU students here and there but I wasn't worried because they didn't seem to care or take notice of us. I didn't have to think about someone taking our picture and posting it somewhere.

Eating out publicly like this wasn't something I could do with Will.

I shook my head slightly, trying to stop my intruding thoughts. I kept comparing this to Will and me. I needed to stop.