43. Breaking news

Maya's POV

I reread the plaque that hung outside the office door.

Kyle Ramirez

Dean of Students

My leg bounced in my chair as I glanced at the clock in the hallway.

9:13 pm

We'd been here for over an hour now and I could hear my stomach growling.

Monica told us everything she could remember and it was almost the exact same as what happened to me.

I couldn't stop thinking about what she said. It was too real. Too familiar.

The parade was going to be over soon and campus was going to be busy with students coming back.

"I can't believe this happened to you before," Gen whispered beside me.

I turned my attention to her. "It was a long time ago and I don't really talk about it much."

"Well if you ever want to-" The door opened quickly, cutting her sentence short.

Monica held the door handle and Mr. Ramirez stood behind her.

"Come back tomorrow morning." He said to her. "For now try and get some rest."

"Thank you."

He briefly glanced at us before closing the door.

Gen got up immediately and walked to Monica's side.

"So what did he say?"

Monica rubbed her temples and sighed. "Cooper will be taken in for questioning tomorrow and I have to make a statement soon and something about a lawyer...my parents are being notified." Her eyes closed tightly and she shook her head lightly. "Sorry, my head is pounding."

"It's fine. Let's just go home and get some sleep." Gen said rubbing her back.

Monica nodded weakly.

"We'll see you guys tomorrow?" Gen asked us.

"Yeah, tomorrow," Ben said.

He'd found us earlier and we bought him up to speed. Monica said it was okay to tell him because by tomorrow everyone was going to know anyway.

They walked past us when Monica turned and looked at me.

"Write it for me?"

"What?" I said completely lost.

"They're gonna write their own versions of what happened and... please." She paused and folded her hands together tightly. "I want someone to tell the full truth. No fabrication."

"I will. I promise." I said earnestly.

She thanked me and they both made their way to the entrance.

"Are you allowed to do that?" Casey asked.

I shrugged. "I don't think I care at this point."

"Well, we should head back. Tomorrow is going to be interesting, to say the least." We got up to leave.

We passed by a few offices and made our way outside. It surprisingly wasn't that cold out.

We stood outside of the Student services Building as people began to come back from the parade. Students were all walking in groups and making their way to the dorms now.

"Wait," Ben said looking down at his hands. "Can I uh—speak to Maya alone?"

Casey and I both exchanged suspicious looks.