RED 32

"Santina told my father that something happened between us in Santorini," panimulang paliwanag ni Troy.

She eyed him with scrutiny. "Did she tell the truth?"

Umiling ito. "No. Nothing happened. Nagsabay lang naman talaga kami papuntang Santorini. She met her friends there."

She sat down. "Why would I believe you?"

"Believe it or don't believe it. It's still the truth."

"That's not very convincing."

He sat on the coffee table. "Santina's like a sister to me. That's all she's ever been and that's all she will ever be."

"But she doesn't see you that way."

"Does it matter? Kahit gusto nya 'ko, hindi ko naman sya gusto. Nothing will happen between us."

"You can't guarantee that."

Troy sighed. "I know. But there's no really guarantee with these things. I guess you just have to trust me."

Tiningnan niya itong mabuti. Can she trust him? Naalala niya yung sinabi nina Ariesa tungkol kay Tanya. Troy loved the woman, yet he cheated. Tanya became a wreck because of him. Partida pa, he did love Tanya. What about her? Mahal ba sya nito? And if love's not enough to stop him from cheating, then what will?

"I'll try," she told him.

"That's good enough for me." He smiled and tilted her chin up. "Are we good? Am I cleared? Pwede na bang..." He didn't finish the sentence on purpose. But the way his gaze lingered on her lips, she already knew what he meant.

"I'm kinda tired." She removed his hand and stood up.

"Oh, come on!" reklamo nito.

"I'm really tired. And besides, kailangan mo ring magpahinga. Wala ka pa yatang tulog."

"I can still manage."

She cupped his face. "I'm not going anywhere, so get some sleep. Please."

"Did you just say—"

Tumango siya. "Yes, I did. Kaya sumunod ka. Minsan lang akong makiusap."

He chuckled. "Okay, fine. I'll sleep."

She tiptoed and kissed his forehead. Humawak naman ito sa bewang nya.

"Don't go anywhere."

"I won't. Matutulog din ako."

Umuna na ito papunta sa kwarto. Siya naman ay nagpunta ng banyo para maglinis ng katawan. She felt icky after hours of being on the road.

Troy was already asleep when she went to bed.

--

Red felt refreshed. It was like this when they first slept together. Parang ayaw na niyang bumangon. But she's hungry. Hindi pa sila nakapaghahapunan. Nakabukas ang lampshade sa bedside table nang magising siya.

She turned to Troy. Tulog na tulog pa rin ito.

Bumangon siya at nagpunta sa kusina para maghanap ng makakain. Mag-a-alas dose na pala ng madaling araw. Ilang oras din siyang tulog.

There's food on the table. May takip lang iyon para hindi langawin. Siguro ay pumunta kanina si manang para magluto at hindi na sila ginising. She looked around to find some coffee. Sa bahay nila, isang utos lamang niya, may kape na. Dito, wala. May nakita siyang instant coffee, but she doesn't like that kind. And she doesn't know how to make a decent cup. Malay ba naman niya.