Chapter Forty-Four: Trapped

I blinked twice. How did she know my name? Further more, who the hell was she? Nonetheless, I brought a foot forward, readying myself if she were to attack. I was still in my bankai mode. The woman smirked, stepping forward towards me.

“You must be wondering who I am,” she said as though she read my mind. “But it doesn’t matter.”

“What are you doing here?” I asked her, glaring in her direction.

“That’s really not the right question to ask,” she sighed. She looked up at me and smiled once again. I stood there, unflinching, not even blinking in case I were to miss something. “Fine, I’ll tell you,” she said as though I was pressuring her to. “I’m here to take you away, sweet Reina.”

With that, I kicked off the air and lunged toward her. I didn’t need any further convincing. This woman was crazy and she needed her ass kicked. Her smile dropped when she realised that I flash-stepped at the very last minute, the tips of my flaming red hair flicking across her face. With one hand, I grabbed the back of her neck with unbelievable force, and with the other, a burst of flames were emitting off. I aimed it towards her, curling my fingers to grip her neck even harder. She whimpered although she did not attempt to squirm herself out of my grip. I could feel her skin beginning to burn and crumble beneath my burning grip.

“Tell me why I shouldn’t blast your face off.” Her hands began clawing at mine, but I did not flinch. When she did not reply, I closed my eyes then opened them to discharge the eruption of flames towards her face. I jumped back as it exploded, to steer clear of the blast. As the smoke cleared, I widened my eyes to find her, panting and glaring at me. I took a sharp gasp to see that her skin was peeling off, blood gushing out at blisters that coated her entire body. I squinted to see that some of the blisters were caught on flames. Instead of wincing in pain however, she frowned and closed her eyes. In her hand she held a katana, which she brought forward with two hands, gripping it at the hilt of the sword. Almost as if on command, the blisters on her skin sunk into her body as though they were being absorbed and was replaced by unscathed skin she had before.

“You cannot win,” she said, grinning now.

“And why is that?”

“Because if you were to use your bankai’s greatest potential on me, the whole of sereitei, or at least half of it, would be in ruins. People would die. Innocent people,” she added with a smirk. “Am I right? And by now, you may have noticed how I do not stay affected by your attack for that long.”

I blinked and looked down, eager to show that she does not remain correct. A building had collapsed just because of my reiatsu. “Let’s not delay this any longer,” she said suddenly. “Whisper, Michiko Sakakku.”

I glanced up to see her sword shining with brightness, as it slowly moulded itself into a black khakkara with coloured rings, covered in Japanese calligraphy. It emitted so much reiatsu that I had to dig my feet into the air beneath me to prevent myself from being flown away. This girl wasn’t messing around. She waved it and suddenly a burst of deep purple spiritual energy exploded from all around her. I yelled out as it blasted through me, a shot of agonising pain flashed through my body and I had no choice but to plummet down to the earth below. As I fell, I heard whispers, some soft and some incredibly loud. Each of the whispers belonged to a series of voices. Each of them whispering my name. Reina.

Reina. Reina. Rei-

REINA!

I popped my eyes open, and screamed, clawing at my ears. Make it stop! I tore through the branches of several trees, whimpering as some slashed through my clothes. I felt my robes dampen with my blood as I landed on the ground face down with a hard thud, the belt I wore clanging as it knocked into the earth. I sat up and groaned, gripping my head. I forced my hands away when I saw that I had to be outside the walls of Sereitei, and in the surrounding woods.