Chapter three

The next few weeks are pretty much the same as always, except now I have something keeping me going.
Hope.
After helping my dad out in the lab and on the farm we usually go out to the market, and see who we can tell about this exciting new development.
You can't just go telling any Tom, Dick or Harry of course, as the peacekeepers have been quite bloodthirsty lately, and all they need is someone to give them the smallest reason to get beaten.
Even if we give them the slightest suspicion we're up to something, I can guarantee that I would return home with my back covered in slashes.
So far, we've spoken to a few people, mostly just the neighbours that we can trust and my mother's sister.
The person most excited is Valerie Hampshaw, my friend who I've known so long the first time we met I had almost just came out of the womb.
When I told her she started to cry. The idea that everyone could be free and not have to worry about going hungry, or getting beaten by the peacekeepers ,or even just knowing that when you have children you don't have to worry about them getting sent into an arena to fight to the death is such a foreign and wonderful concept to her I guess she couldn't contain herself.
So now every time she sees the district 13 clip on tv she'll tell me about it, bouncing lightly on her feet, bobbing her head as she talks in awe about her ideal free world, where everyone is happy.
I know it won't be that simple though.
I know that we won't just coincidentally stumble across a happy little wonderland in the woods.
Revolution takes hard work, but we will get there.
I know we will.
And if I have to die for my district to be free, then so be it.
One day we'll be free.
And whether I'm on earth or on to the next thing, it will be a great day.