Chapter Twelve

She wasn't wrong. Delia smiled softly at the small newborn of her best friend in town. How she just adored children, especially babies. They were the best thing in the world, proof of a couples love.

That's what she had told herself every night as she lay in bed. She cooed at the small delicate little baby. She was so glad she could be here with them in this moment. She'd always wanted one of her own, she hoped she'd get the chance to now that, that thing she'd been raising had left.

She wasn't wrong. She sat down beside her best friend as she reluctantly returned the baby. They chatted on and on.

That thing hadn't been hers. It was practically identical to that man. Not an ounce of her in it. She laughed as the couple beside her argued about who their baby looked most, the father or the mother. Personally, Delia thought the little one looked most like the mother, her best friend, but she may have been biased.

Absently she wondered if her own child would inherit her auburn brown hair, or maybe they would inherit her kind temper. Maybe they would even inherit the odd but loving red eyes of her own mother. How she would love for her child to have her dearly departed mother's eyes.

She paused as her friends started going over what the doctor had told them about their baby's health. She thought back to her childhood. The doctor had said she had a bit of a mental problem, to obsessive and violent on occasions, something about her being slightly narcissistic or whatever else.

Her parents didn't believe that fake. She didn't either. Even now everyone said she was a kind woman and made a wonderful mother. She often wondered why they say she was a wonderful mother, she didn't even have a child. But they were right, she would make a wonderful mother.

Indeed she wasn't wrong. He had tricked her. Probably used one of those despicable Pokémon of his to do it. She laughed as her friends husband said another joke. They reminded her of her husband before he had disappeared nine years ago.

She'd been engaged to her husband for two years then when she got news she was pregnant. She didn't understand how. He had only arrived mysteriously in town for around a week at that point they hadn't even held hands at that point. She had been sure they would make a wonderful family but than he had run off with some whore that claimed to be his childhood friend. No he had stayed with them for two years before he left without a word there was no whore he wouldn't leave her for another woman but he would for his Pokémon.

She said goodbye to her friend and her husband, giving their adorable baby a kiss. Her memories were always so muddled now a days. Her dad had called during her pregnancy, worried about her going through it all alone. She didn't understand his concern, she wasn't alone her husband had been with her then. She was angered that he thought she couldn't do it alone, of course she could raise that thing all by herself, it wasn't like it was a human baby.

Indeed it looked practically identical to her husband. She had heard the whispers that they looked more like siblings then it hadn't bothered her, but now it disgusted her. That thing looked just like the man that had abandoned her for a stupid woman. She hated its inhuman red eyes, and that wretched black hair.

She unlocked the front door and closed it with a sigh of relief. She didn't have to see her husband's clone any longer. She didn't have to see that man's offspring any longer. It had finally left.

She ignored the ringing of her phone. It was probably just her dad worrying about some thing stupid like the report of her last doctor visit. That quack had the galls to say she was mental, her mind unable to determine between reality and fantasy. What was he even talking about?