27 || Lake-Town

The company had yet again found themselves crammed into the barrels from Mirkwood

The company had yet again found themselves crammed into the barrels from Mirkwood. Leo looked through the hole in her own to watch Bard walk along the dock towards a man.

"What is he doing?" Dwalin whispered from his barrel to Bilbo's since he could not see what was happening.

"He's talking to someone. He's pointing right at us. Now they're shaking hands."

"What?" Thorin hissed.

"He's selling us out," Dwalin growled.

"He wouldn't do that! Now be quiet!" Leo whispered aggressively.

The company could hear the sound of metal clanking and footsteps approaching the boat as they prepared for the worst. Leo hoped her judgment about the man was correct and he did not betray them. Suddenly, Leo heard the sound of several of the dwarves grunting and an odd tumbling sound. She remained silent and unsure of what to do until she felt something drop into her barrel. Leo looked at her feet and picked up a...fish? A shadow overcame the barrel when her eyes glance up to see a bucket of whole fish being dumped into her barrel. Leo covered her head desperately trying to keep it off of her - obviously to no avail.

Bard set sail yet again with barrels full of fish and dwarves. Nearing the entrance of Lake-Town, one of the dwarves groaned. Bard kicked the barrel. "Quiet! We're approaching the toll gate."

The barge pulled up to a gate suspended between two decrepit buildings. The establishments of Lake-Town prominently displayed their age with their bowed boards and nearly-collapsed roofs - the constant humidity added to the decreased structural integrity.

An elderly man emerged from one of the businesses as he grabbed a lantern. "Halt! Goods inspection. Papers, please! Oh, it's you, Bard!"

"Morning, Percy." Bard steadily maneuvered the barge up to the gate.

"Anything to declare?"

"Nothing. But I am cold and tired, and ready for home."

"You and me both." Percy took the paper Bard extended to him to stamp it.

"There we are, all in order."

The paper was snatched out of Percy's hands. "Not. So. Fast."

The man basically snarled at the sight of Bard, his almost black teeth glistening. His beady eyes framed by stringy, greasy hair. The man began to read over the paper. "Consignment of empty barrels from the Woodland Realm." He pointed to the barrels. "Only they're not empty. Are they Bard? If I recall correctly, you're licensed as a bargeman. Not..." the man took a fish from one of the barrels, leaving a dwarf eye peeking out in its place. "...a fisherman."

"That's none of your business."

"Wrong. It's the Master's business, which makes it my business."

"Oh, come on, Alfrid. Have a heart, people need to eat."

"These fish are illegal." He tossed the fish into the water before turning to a man and gesturing to the barrels. "Empty the barrels over the side."

Bard watched the guards pick up the barrels and his heart raced. "Folk in this town are struggling. Times are hard. Food is scarce."

"That's not my problem," Alfred spoke nonchalantly.

"And when the people hear the Master is dumping fish back in the lake? When the rioting starts? Will it be your problem then?"

Alfred suddenly, but reluctantly, took interest in Bard's words. Just before one of the barrels was dumped, Alfred shouted: "Stop!" The barrels were sat back down. "Ever the people's champion, hey, Bard? Protector of the common folk. You might have their favor now, bargeman, but it won't last." He snarled before walking off the barge.

Barb sighed in relief. "Raise the gate!" Percy called.

Alfred turned to Bard again angrily. "The Master has his eye on you. You'll do well to remember, we know where you live."

The barge began to make its way through the gates. "It's a small town, Alfrid. Everyone knows where everyone lives."

o o o o o o o o o o o o

Bard docked his barge along a wooden pier. Tying off his boat, he went to each barrel and tipped it resulting in the dwarves spilling out along with the fish. The company fussed and groan at the slime covering them.

A resident watched in confusion at the sight before Bard handed the curious man a coin. "You didn't see them, they were never here. The fish you can have for nothing." The man nodded as Bard looked to the company. "Follow me." Bard began to lead the dwarves through town.

A young boy ran through the crowds to Bard. "Da, our house! It's being watched."

His eyes scanned the town as spies made their rounds around the crowds in search of any illegal activity.

o o o o o o o o o o o o

Bard rushed through his front door with Bain but no sign of the company with him. His daughters ran to the door at the sound.

"Da! Where have you been?" Tilda jumped into her father's arms.

"Father, there you are. I was worried." Sigrid joined her sister in the embrace of their father.

Bard hugged his girl's before handing Sigird his bag. "Here, Sigrid." He turned to Bain. "Bain, get them in."

Bain rushed down the stairs leading to the toilets by the water. He stomped his foot on the wooden floor. After the signal, Dwalin's head peeked out of the toilet bowl.

"If you speak of this to anyone, I'll rip your arms off," Dwalin growled. Bain reached out to him to help only to be smacked away. "Get off."

Bain looked at Dwalin with slight fear as he pointed up the stairs. "Up there." Dwalin followed his guidance and made his way up the steps.

One by one, the dwarves and hobbits filed out of the toilet. Sigrid watched from the top of the stairs in utter confusion. "Da, why are there dwarves coming out of our toilet?"

Tilda looked at her father hopefully. "Will they bring us luck?"

o o o o o o o o o o o o

A/N: Some super sweet moments coming next!☺️