21 || Mirkwood (pt. 1)

The company rode to the border of Mirkwood, an archway of trees marked the entrance to the Elevn Road

The company rode to the border of Mirkwood, an archway of trees marked the entrance to the Elevn Road. Dismounting their horses, Gandalf walked to the entrance to observe it.

"The Elevn Gate." He spun around to face the rest of the company. "Here lies our path through Mirkwood."

"No sign of the Orcs. We have luck on our side." Dwalin spoke hopefully.

A faint roar in the distance caught the company's attention as Beorn had transformed into his bear form to protect his territory. "Set the ponies loose. Let them return to their master." They did as they were instructed and freed their belongings to prepare the horses for departure.

Bilbo walked closer to the entrance of Mirkwood and scanned over the dark, bending trees. "This forest feels sick, as if a disease lies upon it. Is there no way around?"

Gandalf pondered for a second and jumped when a voice sounded from his side. "Not unless we go two hundred miles north, or twice that distance...south." Leo spoke with her hands clamped in front of her as she too scanned the trees.

Gandalf nodded. "What she said." Gandalf stepped further into the forest before suddenly halting as if he'd seen a ghost. He began to move a bit deeper into the forest and the rest of company stayed in place, unsure of what to do at the moment.

Leo stared curiously at Gandalf before noticing Bilbo had slipped something out of his pocket. Whatever it was, it was the same thing she had seen him with when they escaped the goblins. So he would not hear her and put it away, Leo creeped closer to Bilbo until she was close enough to notice it was a gold ring. "Never took you for the jewelry type."

Bilbo jumped almost out of his skin and shoved the ring back into his pocket. He turned to her with wide eyes. "Wh-what are you talking about?"

Leo raised an eyebrow. "Bilbo you had a ring in your hand I saw it." Her face turned to concern at Bilbo's sudden attitude. "You had that when he left the goblins...it is not just a ring, is it?"

Bilbo calmed down and a look of gilt washed over him. He looked to his feet before looking back into her eyes. Bilbo gently shook his head. "No, it's not. I don't know what it is. But when I wear it..." Bilbo moved closer to her in order to whisper. "I seem to turn invisible and the world around me moves almost in slow motion." 

Leo just stared in shock. "Bilbo something of that power could be dangerous..."

"I know...I know. For now, I would like to keep it a secret from anyone. I regret telling you and pulling you into this."

"You should never regret telling me anything. I'm glad you did. I can keep an eye on you knowing you have that."

"I'm hoping it will come in handy again. You never know." Leo nodded in agreement.

"Shouldn't Gandalf know? It sounds like something he might know about."

"I thought about telling him..."