Chapter 3

Listening to the sound of the hooves on the cobblestone, Jay's mind wandered. He and Dave were on their way to the party and Jay's nerves started to act up again.

Who would be there? What if we got caught immediately?

Those thoughts raced through his head, and he started to shift nervously. Jay didn't even perceive Dave trying to talk to him until the carriage suddenly stopped.

Jolting back to reality, he turned to Dave who just gave him a worried look.

"We're here, Ja- I'm mean Ms. Hutchinson. Are you alright?"

Jay just nodded his head. This was an important mission. He wouldn't let his nerves get in the way.

"Let's just go. The quicker we get information, the quicker we can leave."

Dave turned towards the carriage door and opened it up. He stepped out and Jay scooted closer to the door.

Before Jay could get out himself, Dave reached out his hand towards him.

Grabbing the hand with a distasteful look, Jay grumbled something about not needing help.

Dave chuckled and hooked his arm with Jays. Together they made their way towards the entrance of the building.

Jay, for the first time, took in the building they were headed to. His eyes widened.

Yes, he imagined the party would be hosted in a fancy place, but not this fancy. He assumed it was the house of one of the party-goers, presumably the Host.

The house or better said the mansion was huge and seemed to shimmer even in the already darker light. It was also illuminated from the inside. Through the windows, Jay could see giant chandeliers and people roaming the inside.

Stepping towards the doorway, Jay gulped and oh so slightly tightened his hold on Dave.

On either side of the big door stood a man with a fancy looking suit. Jay assumed they were the staff.

Getting closer, the men looked both him and Dave up and down, before opening the doors.

Jay would have been offended that they judged him based on appearance if he had the time, but he was quickly whisked away by Dave.

The two followed another man in similar clothes, towards an archway.

Looking through Jay saw a few tables, some of which games were played on, while on others people just sat and chatted.

Mingling around the many guests were other servants holding different sorts of drinks. In the far back of the room, Jay could also make out a small bar.

His attention was brought back when the man who led them there bowed and returned to his spot.

Jay looked at Dave who was looking around the room, just like Jay had done. Noticing the stare, Dave turned to Jay.

"So, what now?", he asked.

Jay glanced around the room, "I think it would be better if we split up. That way we're going to be able to gather more information."

Dave gave a slightly nervous nod. "If that's what you think, then let's do it."

Jay released his hold on Dave's arm and brushed off his dress, before giving Dave a subtle wave and walking towards the crowd.

Walking around the room, Jay kept both eyes and ears open.

"Excuse me miss, would you like something to drink?"