chapter five

later that night tobio couldn't stop thinking about him.

the conversation they had, the way they stared at each other, it made him blush. 

he definitely knew he had feelings for him now. hinata literally confirmed it for him.

he wasn't going to tell him though, because hinata also said he's never really been into a guy before. 

jesus christ.

even suzuki had a much bigger chance of "winning" hinata than he did.

ugh.

[the next day...]

tobio was walking up to the vending machine, getting milk like usual.

until he heard a girl crying.

he looked around the corner, seeing suzuki sitting on the ground, sobbing.

he wanted to help her, but at the same time he didn't really like her.

he decided to be nice and walked up to the girl, sat down beside her, and spoke up.

"hey..um..if you don't mind me asking..what happened?"

"i was rejected."

tobio didn't even have to ask who rejected her, but he asked anyway.

"who rejected you?"

"hinata. hinata did."

tobio was kind of happy not gonna lie, but continued pretending he felt sorry for her.

okay so maybe I DO have a chance with him; tobio thought to himself.

"what did he say?"

"he said he wasn't really interested in me like that, but we could still be friends."

perfect.

"he also said he had his eyes on somebody else." suzuki added as she wiped away another tear.

tobio's heart shattered.

what?

"he does?"

suzuki sniffled. "mhm."

he didn't tell him about this...tobio just assumed he wasn't into anyone at the moment, oh god.

"oh...well i'm sorry you were rejected, there are plenty of fish in the sea. anyways i uh..need to get going. see you some other time!" tobio immediately ran off and waved after saying this.

"bye kageyama-kun!" suzuki yelled out.

during class,

he didn't say a word to hinata.

during lunch,

he didn't say a word to hinata.

during practice,

he didn't say a single word.

hinata was clearly hurt and confused, but he didn't question it. he wanted to know why the setter was ignoring him, but he was afraid he'd be bothering him. so he didn't say anything either.

when they were walking home, hinata was so sick of being ignored so he just blurted out of nowhere;

"what's your problem?!"

"excuse me?" tobio responded confused.

"i said what's your problem. why do you keep ignoring me? what the hell did I do?"

"tch. it's none of your business. nothing's wrong."

"clearly it IS my business! you've ignored me the ENTIRE DAY and i'm getting sick of it! can you at least tell me what the problem is?!"

"i said it's nothing. just leave me alone."

then tobio noticed something.

hinata was tearing up.

tobio's eyes widened. he didn't wanna make him cry.

"hinata i-"

"fine. you want me to leave you alone so badly? fine." hinata said with a shaky voice.

before tobio had the chance to say anything, he strolled away on his bike.

now tobio knew he fucked up.