Chapter 3: Chief Zimmerman

A/N: Short chapter, but important because...well you know, the cliffhanger. Sorry not sorry. That's what I do.  ;) ilysm

You peeked over your computer monitor, watching Flip through the window of his office talking on his phone, hands gesturing wildly as they do whenever he's in the zone. You smiled. Feeling your heart flutter at the sight of him sitting in the chief's chair, looking just a natural about it as you imagined he would. Biting your bottom lip you rested your chin on your hand and kept your daydreamy gaze on him.

Flip was one week into his new role and during that time, you'd witness him take charge of the department as if he'd been doing it for years. Everyone in the unit seemed pleased with him as the new Chief, which didn't come as a surprise to you. Flip always had a way of making friends with just about anyone he came across. There were times you would be waiting for minutes on end for him to finish up small talk with some of the locals, no matter where you were. The gas station, the supermarket, the cafe... he could even chat it up with a shrub if he was drunk enough.

"I'm glad to see he's not a distraction for you," Jack teased in a smug tone, sitting opposite of you, with an expressive look.

Averting your eyes quickly and redirecting your attention back to your computer, you giggled. "Sorry."

Jack glimpsed over his shoulder at Flip then back at you. "I think it's weird he's our boss."

You scoffed in response. "Why? Because you don't like him?"

Jack pinched his brow, "No, I just think... you know... there might be nepotism. He might give me some shit cases. He might reassign you to a different partner," he said, continuing down his list of reasons as you looked at him blankly.

"Look, I know he can be... stubborn..." you kindly rationalized as Jack rolled his eyes. "...BUT... there won't be favoritism under my watch. I won't allow that to happen."

Your desk phone started to ring and you cocked your brow, not even remembering the last time you got a call on it, if ever.

Picking up the receiver suspiciously, you answered. "Salt Lake PD."

"Come to my office."

Your eyes darted over to Flip's office window as you held the receiver to your ear. His dark gaze was heavy on you as he slowly placed his receiver back on the base. You knew exactly what that mischievous look on his face meant. Saying nothing else, you hung the phone up and cleared your throat.

"Who was that?" Jack asked with curiosity.

Not wanting Jack to know what was up, you acted blase about it. "Prank call, I guess," you said, shrugging.

Waiting a few seconds, you stood up and grabbed your coffee mug. "I'll be back," you said casually as you leisurely made your way to what appeared to be the breakroom, but stopping at Flip's office door and leaning on the frame.

He was reclined in his chair, rocking back and forth as you both stared at each other.

"Can I help you?" you said, biting back a grin. If he thought you guys would be fucking in his office in the middle of the workday, he was insane.

With a straight face, he leaned forward, resting his forearms on the desk.

"I need you to look at this," he said, raising a hand and gesturing with two fingers to come in.

This felt like a sexy deja vu of your first night together many moons ago. Look at what? You had a few ideas of what he wanted you to "look at".

Glancing over your shoulder to make sure no one was paying too close attention, you pushed yourself off the door frame and stepped in closer towards his desk. He held up a piece of paper and studied it.