Chapter 6: Another Cliche Vampire Story

None of this made any sense.

"Okay, one more time. I'll get it this time," I promised as I tried to rub away my growing headache. 

Rhys stood nearby, leaning against the building, patiently waiting from me to collect myself from my internal meltdown. It was baffling how patient and calm he was. Firstly, because all this was sheer nonsense and secondly, because this had to my twentieth vow of 'just one more time'. He hadn't lost his cool or let annoyance enter his tone once, a fear I'd never have accomplished if I was in his position. 

"My Master and I are vampires."

"Got that fact down loud and clear," I groaned exasperatedly. Because, of course, why fucking wouldn't they be? 

 "Vampires hide our existence to avoid chaos, fear, and human retaliation."

"Yeah, because of prey dynamics and current population density," I parroted what he had mentioned earlier.  He explained current human populations outweighed those of the vampires. If war erupted between the two, there would be massive casualties for both sides. Vampires were innately stronger than us humans. Numbers alone wouldn't ensure human victory and vampires' strength alone wouldn't negate our numbers.

To me, it sounded more like vampires wanted their presence secret so their 'cow' didn't fight back, rather than some lofty justice-driven desire to preserve the peace, but I wasn't about to argue that point to the vampire who tried to impale me less than a week ago. 

"And vampires can only metabolize human blood," I continued from my memory. The morbid fact that I belonged to the sole species capable of sustaining a vampire stuck with me clearly. 

The rest that he had explained was haze.

"And the, uh, thing with the sun, um--" 

"If well-fed, a vampire may endure sunlight."

"Right." If well-fed off humans. I cringed. "It's also possible to see their reflection in mirrors and killing a vampire with a stake is bogus, although you won't tell me how to correctly kill one."

"Correct," He nodded, ignoring my jab.

Hollywood had been feeding me lies all of this time. Shocking.

"The woman though. The, uh, half-vampire thing?" This was the part he lost me last on.

"Dhampir," he corrected. 

"Right, dhampir. She's an offspring of a human and vampire but was unstable because of her bloodlust."

Rhys tensed, eyes flashing, as he growled, "Unsatiable scum. They hunt without caution and kill all whose path's they cross until they themselves are killed."

Because vampires sounded like harmless fireflies. Honestly, dhampirs didn't sound all that different from my concept of what vampires were: bloodthirsty and dangerous. But if he was so adamant they were different, I wasn't going to risk my life again by arguing.

I groaned and flopped onto my back on the sidewalk. The sun burned my eyes, but that was the least of my worries at this point. I fished the necklace out of my pocket and held it up to the sun, watching it glimmer and catch the light. "This is al interesting and everything, but how did out of everyone in the world did I get roped into this? Why did Eskil give me that stupid necklace you?"

A pregant pause. "I do not have the answers. His Lordship has been absent for four centuries."

Wait.

Shit.

I sat up. "Centuries? You've lost your master for four centuries?"

Rhys straightened and scowled at my accusation, his hand tightening on his weapon. 

"His Lordship disagreed with the several members of Council. The pressure from that disagree resulted in him electing to step away until they reached a resolution," He defended.

Most have been some hell of disagreement to warrant leaving for four centuries. 

"Council, huh? A vampire council?"

Rhys nodded. "The council consists of the highest respective vampires who regulate our society. They are Law and Power."

Weird. Somewhere out there was a group of all-powerful vampires lording over the vampire world. And Eskil was one of them.

"That still doesn't explain my role in all of this."

"Only His Lordship may answer that question. Until that time, I will be here."

I suppose it was a kind thing to say, something he meant as a supportive gesture to cause me to calm down and relax, but that was impossible. Regardless of what he said and what I learned, he was a stranger, one that had tried to kill me not long ago. All of this was still too fresh for relaxing or any guard-lowering on my part.

"Hopefully not for long," I said, a silent plea to the universe.

I stared at the necklace for a moment, debating, before securing it around my neck. Yes, I decided to take up wearing it. If your gift, no matter how flashy of feminine it was, seemed to have the power to save your life I'm sure you'd wear it too, even if it looked like a vagina.

I got to me]y feet, stretching, and dusted my pants off.

"So this just leaves waiting for Eskil to come find me." I was positive he would too. He told me to hold on to the necklace until we 'meet again', indicating there would be a time that we would. At that time, I could return the necklace and Rhys to him and then continue with my merrily mundane life.

Rhys lips pursed before his eyes caught something over my shoulder and he reached for his weapon.

"Is everything okay now Kyle?" Hailey's uncertain voice cut right through me. My heart dropped as Rhys sprung around me. I didn't think, only reacted, my whole body jolting to tackle him to a stop. Given his size, my tackle ended up appearing more like an aggressive hug rather than a defensive assault, but it worked. He froze.

"Dude that's my sister!" I shrieked. "Hailey I told you to stay inside!"

"You did," She admitted readjusting her bookbag on her shoulder, "but the other employee came in and told me to come get you. You are supposed to be working, you know."

Fuck. I completely forgot I was on the clock when I discovered vampires existed.

She took me in, then Rhys, then pointly nodded to my arms and legs wrapped around his torso. "Who's this? Your boyfriend?"

"What? Of course not!" I denied, dropping from Rhys like he was iron-hot. 

She raised her eyebrows. "Well, he doesn't look like he came here to beat you up." 

"I'm not gay." I could feel the blush boiling as a slow, knowing grin crept onto her face.

"Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if you were.  The signs—"

"We're leaving. Now," I ordered grabbing Hailey by the ear and hauling her away.

"There you go being evasive again," She noted. I gave her ear a tug. "Ouch, Kyle!"

Rhys deep chortle echoed behind us as Tweetie Sweetie's door chimed closed behind us.