Chapter Seven

I tapped my pen against my workbook. I was extremely bored, and slightly nervous. Mr Coulson would be giving out our partners for our history project in a few minutes. I hoped that I was with a friend. Or my boyfriend.

"Okay, class," Mr Coulson called from the front of the class.

Everyone shot to attention, curious to know who they were paired with. Mr Coulson began announcing the partners. Vis and Wanda were together, luckily for them.

"And Pietro and y/n," Mr Coulson finished.

He began giving us more details about the project. Pietro grabbed my hand under the table. I looked up to see him smiling fondly at me. I smiled back.

The bell rang and Mr Coulson dismissed the class. We all walked towards our next classes together.

"You know what this means?" Wanda said to me.

I shook my head.

"Study dates! And study double dates!" she said excitedly.

I nodded enthusiastically. Vis and Pietro walked to their classes while Wanda and I walked to ours. We began planning a study date, talking excitedly. Wanda said goodbye to me when she reached her classroom. I walked the rest of the way to art and waved at Steve when I saw him.

"Hey," he said happily. "I think we're doing watercolour today!"

A massive grin spread across my face.

"I love watercolour! It's a bit tricky but the results are always beautiful!" I exclaimed.

We entered the classroom and began the lesson.

Pietro POV

I walked to lunch and scanned the room for y/n. I saw her sitting at our usual table with Steve. They were having a conversation and smiling a lot.

An uncomfortable feeling settled in my stomach. I was shocked when I realised it was jealousy.

Keeping a girlfriend for longer than Tony seemed to be getting easier and easier. Y/n was like no other girl I'd met. She was energetic, talented, funny, and absolutely gorgeous. I had only known her for a few weeks, but I had begun to care about the bet less and less, the more I spent time with her.

I had always had a reputation for stringing girls along and not really caring about them. It all started when Terresa cheated on me. I guess forming attachments became hard. I didn't want to get hurt like that again. But y/n was different. I didn't know how to explain it.

I walked up to the table and sat beside y/n. She turned around with a big smile on her face.

"Hey, Piet," she said, giving me a kiss.

"Hey, n/n," I said, putting an arm around her shoulder.

She then continued talking to Steve. They were talking about art and technique. I felt a swell of pride for my girlfriend. She was talented and amazing. Everyone else filed into the cafeteria and sat down.

Bucky and Sam walked into the room.

"Football tryout results are here," Sam said, raising his arms in the air.

"Steve, Thor, T'Challa, Pietro, welcome to the team," Bucky said.

Cheers burst out from everyone. Y/n smiled and cheered with everyone else, but I knew her smile was for me.

"You guys too?" Steve asked.

Bucky and Sam nodded, and the cheers began anew.

"Steve is obviously captain," Bucky said.

There were a few jokes here and there, but everything seemed great.

"Will you all come to the first game?" Sam asked.

"Hell yeah," y/n said, surprising everyone.

"Do you like football?" Steve asked her.

"I barely know the first thing about it. I want to support my friends and my boyfriend," she said, smiling.

"I'll drink to that," Tony said.

"You'll drink to anything," Natasha said, shaking her head.

"You're not supposed to drink anyway, you minor," Pepper said jokingly.

We all laughed, and the joking continued.

Your POV

The night for the first football game rolled around. I wore the colours of our team, as did the rest of my friends. The players had gone into the changerooms. Hope and Wanda were both cheerleading down on the field. I sat next to Nat and Scott.

When our friends came out of the changerooms, we cheered like crazy. We were jumping up and down and hollering out their names.

The game begun and I had no idea what was going on. I cheered when Nat did, hoping I was cheering at the right time. The scores were always pretty even. My gaze always followed Pietro. He was fast and skilled.

Half time came and went. My voice was hoarse from screaming and cheering.

There was finally one minute left. The scores were 67 – 70 to the opposite team.

"We just need a touchdown," Scott said anxiously.

Steve passed the ball to Bucky and he ran. He was intercepted and passed it to Pietro. Pietro began running to the touchdown line.

"Go Pietro!" I yelled.

Players from the opposite team ran after Pietro, but he dodged them all. Pietro got to the end, scoring a touchdown. The siren rang and we screamed and cheered in victory. Pietro ran across the field towards us. He jumped the fence and took his helmet off. He ran towards me and picked me up, connecting our lips. I kissed him back with my hands on either side of his face.

I pulled back and saw him grinning madly.

"You did it!" I yelled over the cheering crowd.

Pietro just kissed me again. I melted into the kiss. Eventually Scott and Val's gagging got too loud to ignore, and we pulled apart. Pietro left to go and get changed and I walked around with Scott.

"You really like him, don't you?" Scott asked me.

"Yeah, I do," I said, looking at him.

Scott just smiled at me sadly.

"You're a really great person, y/n," Scott said.

He then walked off, leaving me confused.

What was that sad smile about? Did Scott have something against Pietro?

Pietro POV

I ran out of the changerooms, scanning the crowd for y/n. I saw her standing by herself, arms crossed and a frown on her face. I made a step towards her before I was stopped by Scott.

"Are you still playing her?" he asked me.

"What?" I replied, confused.

"Are you only dating y/n for the bet?" Scott clarified.

He looked slightly angry.

"No. I mean, I did at the beginning, but now... she's different, Scott. I'm feeling things that I haven't felt since Terresa," I said heatedly.

Scott just nodded.

"She's a great person and an amazing friend. I think we'll all be sad if you lose her," Scott said.

I looked at y/n in the distance. She was now looking up at the sky. I said goodbye to Scott and walked over to my girlfriend. She smiled when she saw me.

Her smile made me realise; I didn't care about the bet anymore. I only cared about her.