Chapter 11: An Accidental Sleepover

-Kageyama-

Kageyama looked at the darkening sky as he found himself at the foot of the hill. Yawning again, he opened the door leading into the store, just to spot the same grumpy man sitting on a chair behind the cashier counter, his chin on the table, and his face looking defeated (he also had a cigarette in his mouth); ignoring the man, he quickly chose his items and rushed to the cashier counter.

The store was small, but it was perfect in Kageyama's opinion since most all the basic things were provided there.

Like most months, he liked to limit his usage of money, so, if he ever 'actually' needed it, he could have quite the money to use. He tried to distract himself from his favorite choco-bar as he stood in the short line, the bar was nothing special, only milk chocolate and almonds.

He quickly pulled out the money and handed it to the cranky cashier, whose cigarette created puffs of grayish smoke in the air; the cranky guy nodded and handed him the receipt.

- - - -

Walking home was quiet, surprisingly; he spotted no one but Mizu outside. Mizu was a stray dog whom he had helped a few years ago, the two of them had met when Kageyama was coming home from practice, coincidentally, Mizu was on the sidewalk, breathing heavily and struggling to sit up. And just as Kageyama walked near the dog, Mizu got up early and wagged his tail. [Mizu was a Shiba Inu, a quite adorable one, he had golden and white fur that Kageyama would usually trim once every month.] Out of sympathy, Kageyama had taken the dog into his house; his neighbor, Mr. Yuu had taken Mizu to the vet.

The paved cement road had a few cracks here and there, reminding him of the "step on the cracks" game he would play with Kindaichi and Kunimi when they would walk home after practice. There was a sweet scent of recently moved grass in the air, mixed in with the scent of honeysuckle, which the community workers recently had taken out from the canyon nearby.

As the sky was dark enough to spot stars, the street lights flickered on, illuminating his way.

- - - -

Out of habit, he whistled. Mizu came running from behind and jumped on his back, "whoa- hey there Mizu-" Kageyama began, bending down and opening one of the bags the cashier had given his stuff in. "Yea, I missed you too."

Mizu jumped up and down and wagged his tail as Kageyama pulled out a bag, he unzipped it and took some of the dogs treats into his hand, and offered them to Mizu.

Happily wagging his tail, Mizu accepted Kageyama's offer and quickly ate them. As soon as Mizu had finished, Kageyama got up and waved, "I'll see you soon."

Mizu whined a bit and began following him, "c'mon Mizu~ I told you I'll see you soon," Kageyama said, as he turned around.

Mizu gave him those classy puppy eyes, the street lights creating an even cuter shadowing to the dog, "not gonna work," Kageyama said as he looked away; Mizu whimpered a bit and looked at Kageyama hopefully.

"Okay whatever, only this once," Kageyama sighed as the dog barked with happiness.

- - - -

"Great, we're here!" Kageyama said as Mizu jumped up and down in excitement. He slowly unlocked the door and pushed it open, followed by a barking Mizu; he locked it quickly and sighed.

Kageyama removed his shoes and placed them on the shoe rack beside the door, careful not to knock over the flower pot kept on a stool beside it. He grabbed all the items and walked into the kitchen, setting the bag of groceries on the counter. "Sit," he commanded as Mizu continuously ran around the kitchen.