Chapter Twenty-Eight

Prepare your tissues..... 👀

Chapter Twenty-Eight

I wait anxiously as hours have passed, staring at the chemicals concoction I've made. I quadruple check the very old recipe I have, and it seems to be exact. My family hasn't had to use this recipe since my grandmother was a Maverick, but I am done playing games and my ethics are probably questionable at this point. If I mixed this wrong, it's just poison that will slowly suffocate whomever it's injected into. But if I did it correctly, it will cling to the extra type of blood cells metahumans have and destroy them, essentially eliminating their meta ability.

"Knock, knock," a soft voice says, and I look up to see an exhausted Faith.

"Come in Faith," I say, and I clear the other stool for her to sit. She plops down hard and buries her face in her hands.

"What's wrong?" I ask quickly, I will go to the hospital and keep his heart going if I have to.

"They just finished the surgery, after flatlining five different times throughout the ten hours it took. He is finally stable and as soon all six were replaced, his brain activity increased," she says tiredly. Handing her my not even touched coffee, she slams it back.

"I have a three-hour show tonight and rehearsal in an hour and I have barely slept more than four hours in the last two days," she grumbles.

"I should have probably mentioned that the coffee was decaf," I say, and she groans.

"What is this?" She asks looking at the murky yet slightly glowing purple substance in my hand.

"The plague," I joke, and she snorts and puts her head on the table.

"It looks dangerous, should I be worried you are handling poisons?" She jokes, and I snicker.

"No, because I'm not stupid enough to even open it while you or anyone else is in the room," I say, and she eyes me confused.

"What does it do?" She continues and I give her a flat look.

"Stop asking questions you aren't going to get answers to," I say as I put it in the bulletproof case I borrowed from Aviva's lab.

"Why the sudden secret-keeping?" She asks confused. Sudden? Have we met? 

"Why the sudden nosiness?" I retort, and she lets off a huff and eyes the case I just locked. When she leaves, I am going to extract it into the syringes we have which are made with Galvanized Steel.

"Hadley, I'm concerned," she states seriously.

"Why? It can't hurt you," I tell her and that makes her more confused.

"There you are Faith; don't you need to get to rehearsal?" Orion asks walking into my lab. He eyes up his female companion who is still giving me a very baffled gaze.

"Hadley's playing with dangerous chemicals and won't tell me why," she almost whines at Orion.

"I mean she is an ultra-advanced bio-medical engineer Fay; she can do as she pleases," Orion says amused as he pushes her off the stool onto her feet.

"She's got the same look in her eye I get," she says, and I raise an eyebrow at the duo.

"Oh?" I ask

"You are plotting something, and that chemical is a part of it," she says with ease and I smile at her deduction skills.

"Yes, now go to rehearsal. I am leaving to go find Click shortly," I say, and they wave and disappear. How do they even have clearance into this building? The only way to not get seen would be to teleport into the bathroom, but I wouldn't put it past them.