Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

"Okay I am a fairly self-sufficient person but where is Aviva? She hasn't been in a week and I am becoming concerned," I say almost a week later. All of my work is being held up by her absence, she is technically my project manager after all.

"Close the door," Alexander says, and I do and drop into a chair. Rolling out my ankle a few times, it's almost better at this point.

"Door's closed," I say, and he sighs.

"She hasn't been present at home all week, as far as I know, she's been in and out of the tower, she won't talk to Cathleen. She hasn't called Genève at all, but her dirty gym clothes have been piling up in the laundry bin. She won't answer any of us," Alexander says, and the worry is evident in his voice. Although I have no clue who Genève is.

"That sounds unlike her," I say, and he makes a face.

"See if she disappeared altogether, I would have someone go check her mother's house but she's still around," he says, and I can see the pain and frustration in his eyes.

"Is this because Cathleen won't tell her what is going on?" I ask curiously and he rubs his jaw frustrated.

"That's a big chunk of it, but her behavior has been oddly agitated and none of us can figure out why. We've known her for a few years now and something just feels wrong," Alexander says, and I debate all of my choices.

Pulling out my phone, I text Click and see where she is. She answers me rather quickly that she is with Cabe and Faith. Sitting there drumming my fingers on the chair something tells me that we are missing a piece of the puzzle and that we need to figure it out before something worse happens. Dialing her number, it barely rings before answering me.

"What are you planning, Beta?" Click asks me, and she almost sounds excited.

"Let's go find everyone's favorite Maverick," I say and there is chatter in the background.

"Okay, I'm already in our apartment," she says, and I push myself to my feet.

"Be home soon," I say, and Alexander stands up and buttons his jacket.

"Please be careful with whatever you are up to," he says in a pained tone.

"I'll make sure your precious engineer is safe and sound Xander, I'm not going to let any harm come to her," I say sincerely, and his face softens as I walk out and commute home.

When I step off the elevator, I see the four young meta's around our kitchen table. They all give me a big smile when I walk in and I shake my head at them and go and change. Walking out with my mask in hand I peer over their shoulder and see that Click has already tracked Aviva.

"This is too easy nowadays," I grumble, and Faith snorts.

"Technology takes all the fun out of finding them, but it is certainly more time-efficient," Faith says, and I chuckle.

"Oh do I have stories I could tell..." I mumble as I pull my mask on and wrap a scarf around my face too. Faith is giving me a perplexed look.

"You look so much like-" She starts, and I laugh and cut her off. She would be the first to figure it out, she probably has seen photos.

"Not yet, the reader can't find out yet," I say, and she grins, and we hit the street.

"How are we doing this?" Click asks and I choose on a whim.

"Why don't Faith and I go together and you and Cabe, and Orion can work in the opposite direction?" I ask and no one has a problem with it. We all sync our earpieces onto a separate network and take off. Faith follows in step with me as we move to have Aviva in our sights. Chatter kicks up in the earpiece and Click and Cabe are talking about school. So they do go to school together.