Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Twenty-Five

Bolting upright in a panic, I clutch my chest in pain and realize I'm not breathing. Gasping violently, I put my head between my knees and try to breathe through my nose but fall into a violent coughing fit. The images continue to flash before my eyes as I see the bombing site over and over again. Tears blur my distorted vision and I slow my coughing down and start to regain my breathing,

"Hadley, what's wrong?" I hear Cathleen asks and she kneels by the couch. Looking around confused I realize I am not in my apartment, but still in hers.

"I just had a nightmare," I say weakly and she gives me an understanding smile. It runs in the family; violent and crippling nightmares seem to be genetic but also a hazard to our trade. Cathleen gently takes my pulse before standing up and disappearing into the kitchen. Squinting at the clock, I see it is barely five am.

"Did I wake you?" I ask her and she hands me a glass of water.

"No, I have to go into the office early," she grumbles, and her hair is still unbrushed and her clothes rumpled, this is the Cathleen I know much better.

"I might as well get up and go in early," I say as I rub my face and chug the water.

"I can take you home," she offers. Grabbing my things, we disappear. Quietly, getting ready, Click's alarm goes off as I finish up. She gives me a tired wave as she disappears into the bathroom.

Arriving at work, I get to work trying to flesh out my ideas, the lack of sleep barely affecting me at this point. I work away the morning until there is a knock and the door slides open. A tired Aviva walks in and takes a seat.

"You look exhausted," I say, and she sighs.

"I didn't sleep well, Cathleen was up at the crack of dawn for work and I haven't worked out in days and it's driving me crazy," she says, and I can relate.

"I can pitch in tonight if you want to go work out, Click has an evening class and we have leftovers in the fridge," I say, and she debates.

"Actually, can you run to the bank with me during your lunch? I don't like walking by myself right now and it would give me more time after work," she says and I look at the pile of numbers and shrug.

"We can go now," I offer, and she gives me a tired smile.

"Alright let me grab my things," she says, and we meet out in the hallway.

We opt to walk to the bank and the air is crisp and the winds are quiet. Chatting with ease, I try to explain the idea I have but I can tell it isn't translating quite yet. I am still trying to figure it out entirely myself, but she rolls with it. She tells me about the projects she is helping to manage right now, and I listen excitedly. Aviva is an incredible project manager and those teams are lucky to have her.

When we arrive at the bank, I just wait patiently next to her and bury myself in my scarf. The air in the bank is warm and I start to sweat through all my layers. Just as we are finishing with the teller, the doors slam open and people start screaming. Spinning around, we put our hands up as the three-armed men move closer.

"Are you kidding me?" I ask exasperated and I feel my mask build onto my face and my scarf disappear.

"We can handle this," Aviva says, and she clenches her one hand as people start carefully laying on the ground. The guns crumple into a few pieces and the triggers just seem to fall to the ground. The three men look surprised as we advance on them.