xvii. the unbreakable vow

˗ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 ˗
thank you for understanding, dear.

𝐒𝐔𝐍𝐃𝐀𝐘 𝟐𝟎𝐓𝐇 𝐅𝐄𝐁𝐑𝐔𝐀𝐑𝐘 𝟏𝟗𝟒𝟒

OPHELIA BLACK HAD AGREED TO MEET WITH TOM the next day in the Forbidden Forest. It was dark, and so the only thing guiding her was the moonlight that peaked through the intimidatingly tall and haunting trees. It was like the branches were all reaching down to her, itching to touch her. She stayed on the right path, feeling incredibly unsafe.

She was sure she had stumbled over about five tree roots and had bruised her exposed knees. Ophelia blamed herself for wearing a skirt instead of trousers, especially when it was cold in the mid-February weather. In all honesty, it was always cold in England. Tugging the sleeves of her sweater further down to her hands, Ophelia came up to a clearing where she saw Tom waiting with Lestrange, leaning against a tree patiently. Ophelia hadn't known Lestrange would be there but didn't question it.

"Why did we have to meet here?" Ophelia asked, a little peeved.

"We can't be overheard," he answered quickly. He turned to Lestrange, who looked at his feet with discomfort. Tom looked annoyed; his eyebrows pulled into a frown. "Come on then, Lestrange."

Lestrange looked up, briefly meeting Ophelia's eyes before walking forward. Tom ushered Ophelia forward, and she hesitated, holding his outstretched hand.

"I explained the vow to you, yes?" Tom had made sure to explain it to her, and she understood the repercussions of making the Unbreakable Vow. But he hadn't given her much wriggle room to deny it. He was so persistent, and convincing. She would not speak of the horcruxes to anyone, under any circumstance or for any reason. And after the vow was done, he would erase Lestrange's memory. Tom wanted this information to be kept strictly between the two of them.

"Yes... Let's get on with it, so I can go to bed." Her tone was slightly more biting than usual, and she could tell she was testing Tom's patience. She felt like she had the right to be in a bad mood. He was always dropping these secrets on her that were a lot to carry, and even though this particular secret was her own fault - having eavesdropped - she still felt annoyed about having to make such a drastic vow. If she were to break it, she would die. Tom still insisted it was all for the best. Rolling up the sleeves of her sweater, she prepared for the ritual.

Tom and Ophelia were stood opposite each other holding the opposites' right forearm, his eyes boring into hers with such intensity that she almost wanted to look away. She didn't. She could feel the coldness of his ring against her skin, eliciting a small shiver through her body. Then suddenly, he leaned forward, pressing his lips against her forehead. His lips were so warm, and she felt her heart flutter a little. He then pulled back, gazing down at her.

   "Thank you for understanding, dear," Tom spoke quietly, his voice soft and tender so that only she would hear. Not that it mattered. Lestrange wouldn't remember any of this. Ophelia felt her heart swell, shamefully.

For once, Tom was being genuine.

Lestrange moved forward until he was standing by them, before pointing his wand at their joined hands. Ophelia could feel her heart thumping progressively faster as the process began, Tom beginning to speak.

"Will you, Ophelia, promise not to speak of my horcruxes to anyone other than myself?" Tom asked. Ophelia cleared her throat, feeling it had dried up.

"I promise." A thin stream of fire emitted from Lestrange's wand, curling around Ophelia and Tom's joined hands.

"You won't speak about it to anyone? Not even your friends, family, people of higher authority?" Tom continued, never breaking eye contact with her.