Chapter 6

Usagi

"Ohhh, good morning Usagi...how...uh...nice to see you...isn't it, Seijuro?"

That's how that awful Natsumi greeted me at the school gate this morning. That sly witch wants nothing more than to get in good with me so she can score points with Mamoru. This stupid cow is so transparent! I honestly feel sorry for Seijuro, unlike her he seems to be really interested in me. At least he never tires of complimenting me and hanging on my arm since I met him...but it's completely pointless to try.

My heart has long since been taken.

Yesterday, I understood. It's really the strangest thing I've ever experienced in my entire life, but maybe that's the way it is with love. It is simply magical.

I didn't quite understand what happened after my outburst to Mamoru...but still, I couldn't help but accept that he really loves me. Why ever someone can do that after such a short time. Well, here we go again with the topic of love and magic.

I honestly don't know if I could love him the way he seems to love me. In love I am, no question, and attracted to him I feel to this man more than anything else. But when I looked into Mamoru's eyes yesterday, just before he left, I was sure that he would be willing to die for me.

I think that's really quite...extreme. I'm just Usagi. An ordinary fourteen-year-old girl? What is so special about me that someone would give his own life for me?

For a short moment, I also had the feeling that someone else had taken possession of my body. It was almost as if I was under someone else's control when I followed Mamoru into the hallway. Geez! I think I really need a distraction from this emotional chaos...and Natsumi will be anything but a big help. Quite the opposite.

Now she is standing in front of me in the classroom again and uses the short break in the double lesson to ingratiate herself with me once more.

I rise from my chair and look at Natsumi suspiciously.

"What do you want?"

She obviously wasn't prepared for my direct question, because she blushes slightly and then finally continues with her actual request.

"Uhhh, well it's about our planned laser tag visit after school today...I somehow couldn't reach Mamoru yesterday and we were supposed to...Uhhh...all go together. Do you have his number? Then you could also tell him where we can best meet."

That snake. I knew it! Pff, let her think what she wants. She has no chance with Mamoru anyway...at least I hope so. I've only known Natsumi for a short time, too. The two Ginga siblings are from abroad and came here as exchange students. At first they both went to my parallel class but since yesterday Natsumi was transferred to my class. Supposedly because it would be better for both siblings to study separately.

I sigh deeply and finally say

"As far as I know, he'll be done with university around four-thirty today, and then he was going to wait for us at the school gate."

At my words, Natsumi's expression immediately brightens and I imagine I see something like absolute ambition in her eyes. Even if Mamoru has no interest in Natsumi, this girl won't take no for an answer and will do anything to win Mamoru over. As if love is something you can just take from others. Absolutely ridiculous!

"Perfect! Seijuro is coming along as well! That makes four of us. For the course in the theater, though, you need teams of three...but you already said that we'll figure that out on the spot then."

If I didn't know better, I'd say that Natsumi is up to no good other than cheating at puzzles. There's something about her that my inner voice has already repeatedly told me to be very careful of her.