Jessica and Jack

It was the first day back at Jackson High School. And I’m not your normal teenage girl, I had no friends only acquaintances. I guess you could say I’m pretty but not like other girls. I have dark brown hair, dark brown eyes and a figure some girls would kill for, why am I not popular? you may be asking. I could be popular if I wanted to be but the thing is I don’t care about popularity. I had a best friend Sophomore year but that all changed over the summer. Me and Kate used to be best friends, we had been friends since kindergarten. We did everything together until Kate became one of the “Pops” short for popular. Kate left me in the dust. Now when we see each other Kate looks away. Today my dad is driving me to school because I didn’t pass the test to get my permit. When we pulled into the parking lot of the school I spotted Kate I tried to look away because I new I could never be one of the “Pops” so that meant Kate and I couldn’t ever be friends again.

Dad: “Have a good day honey”.

Me: “Bye dad.” I mumbled as I got out of the car.

I walked up the stairs of the school, I had been going to this school for a year but for some reason it felt different. I walked up to the front doors of the school, she opened them and walked through them. I went straight up stairs to go to Chemistry. When I found the class room I walked in and there was only a couple of people in the class. ‘Dang it I’m early’ . But just as I went to sit down in the back of the class people started to file in. Then the bell rang. I was reading a book when I saw the chair next to her move she looked up to find my nemesis since kindergarten sitting there.

Me: “Why are you sitting next to me?” I asked in a harsh tone

Him: “ I want to be lab partners with someone I know.”

Me: “You know everybody. You’re the most popular guy in school. So what do you really want Jack?”

Jack: “I told you I want to be your partner.”

Me: “Uh-huh.”

Jack: “ Yeah. Now be quiet I’m learning here.” he said in a sarcastic voice

Today in class all we talked about was the rules. Rules, Rules, Rules. Today was even more boring than freshman year. First period seemed to drag on forever. Today was the first day back to school and I already hate my Chemistry teachers voice. FINALLY the bell rang and when I was packing my stuff and turned around Jack was waiting for me. I just walked right past him but he followed me.

Me: “Why do you insist on torturing me everyday. Does it bring you joy?”

Jack: “Yes it does.” he said with a smirk on his face

Me: Well…then you won’t mind me calling you a jackass.”

Jack : “As a matter of fact I do.”

Me: “Well I don’t care.”

And I walked away. The rest of the day went by really fast. I was really bothered because Jack was in 90% of my classes the only two he wasn’t in was gym and Spanish. He wasn’t in gym because it is an all girl gym class and he wasn’t in Spanish because he took it last year. So yeah you could say it was a pretty bad day having Jack with me in every class. I couldn’t wait for sixth period because after that class I get to go home.

When I walked into Geometry I went straight to the back of the class because one seat had already been taken so that meant Jack couldn’t sit next to me. I looked up as Jack walked in the door. He came over to my table and looked at me. Then he looked at the girl next to me. I was instantly horrified because I knew what he was going to do.

Jack: “ Hey can I sit here? I just want to sit with my friend.” he said politely to the girl

Girl: “Uh… yeah.” she picked up all her things and got up