Chapter 27: Christmas Day

Annabeth POV:

Christmas morning. It felt strange waking up in my own bedroom as opposed to the one in my Mom's apartment, but I didn't plan on staying long. When I checked my phone I had three unread messages from Percy, but none from her. I thought about ringing her, but it was her fault she wasn't here, not mine. 

I took a shower, trying to wash away the bruises on my arms. But my scars were painted in ink and would not fade. I hastily got ready, wearing the nicest top I could find, and stared at myself in the mirror long enough to find the confidence to leave the room. 

"Annabeth, what are you wearing? Where on Earth do you think you're going?" Penelope seemed to be waiting outside my door for me. 

"Merry Christmas to you too," I mumbled. She braced her hand, ready to strike. "I'm leaving - spending the day at my friends house instead."

She stepped back as if completely taken aback by the news. 

"I don't think so!" She said so tightly I thought a vein might pop in her neck. "You are staying here to make Christmas dinner for us-"

"-Penelope, you don't want me here. You said so yourself... Consider this my Christmas present to you; you can spend Christmas with your family, without me, and I can spend Christmas with a friend."

Her hand slapped across my face and left a sting. I could see the satisfaction in her eyes as I massaged my cheek. 

"How dare you talk down to me like that," she scowled. But when I looked at her she was just one of the bullies - just like Rachel, just like Luke, just like all the boys I had fought in my other school. Now, I wasn't great with bullies, never had been, but I was learning. And she was just the first hurdle to jump. 

I shoved passed her and made for the door. 

"I'll talk to you any way I want to - you're not my Mother, you don't own me. Have a fucking awful Christmas, Penelope." 

I slammed the door behind me. Dam, that felt good. 

I grabbed the first cab I saw and called Percy as soon as I settled into my seat.

"Merry Christmas," I smiled into my phone. 

"Merry Christmas," he replied. "How has your morning been so far? Any presents?"

Yeah, a slap to the face. "No, of course not. But I did slam the door in my Stepmom's face and that felt fucking awesome."

I heard him laugh. "I wish I had been there to see it. What did she look like when you did it?"

"Well, I told her to have an awful Christmas and then her mouth fell open - I've never seen her look so angry before. It was awesome. How's Tyson?"

"He looks pretty cool in his Christmas hat. The guy's in a coma and he somehow still beat me at the Christmas Cracker," he chuckled. Then his voice dropped a little quieter. "It feels... weird. This is the first Christmas we've had without him."

"And it will be the only Christmas you have without him," I reassured him, but my thoughts absently drifted to my Mother. I shook my head quickly. "I hope you're having a good day. How's Estelle?"

"Never better. Paul got her a teddy of Sulley from Monster's Inc. and, although she was scared of it at first, she won't let go of it now. She says he looks like Tyson, which I'm not sure the Big Guy would approve of but I think it's sweet. She can't remember this but Monster's Inc. was also Tyson's favourite film, so they have yet another thing in common."